• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown provenance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanedh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Good day all:
One of my coworkers brought in a smoothbore long gun for me to examine and try to classify for him. It is a ordinary halfstock with a percussion bar style lock, drum and nipple, brass trigger guard and buttplate, cast pewter or tin forend cap, walnut stock with varnish finish. The barrel is pinned in two places to the stock (not wedges). Caliber appears to be about .60 or so (20 gauge fowler?). Barrel wall thickness is greater than usually seen on fowling pieces, hinting that this may be just a smoothbore meant for round balls.

There are no maker's names on the barrel and no visible proof marks (although there may be some marks hidden on the underside of the barrel). The only identifying marks are found on the lockplate: "N. ASHMORE", nothing else. A couple of areas of scroll engraving on either end of the lockplate.

My guess is that this is an English-made piece intended for the export market, notwithstanding the absence of visible proofhouse marks.

Anybody want to add or observe?

Bluejacket

Is this gun a flintlock converison to precussion? Nathan Ashmore/Azhmore was a Gunsmith/Blacksmith in Woodstock Connecticut.1780/1805 I have seen two of his rifles both .56cal. smoothbores one of these was in my collection when I lived in Thompson connecticut (my hometown) both guns were very roughly made with parts from older guns. Check with Old Stirbridge village in Southbridge Mass.they had one of his guns as late as 1980/81 Hope this helps---SPUD

Hi Spud--
Thanks for your input. The lockplate design is too late to be a conversion from flintlock to percussion, but the rest of your description of Ashmore's guns fits this one pretty well. The style of the tang on the buttplate lends itself to an earlier age (old parts), ditto for the ramrod entry pipe in the forend. It is pretty ugly, but solid and built for service. The lack of proofmarks supports it being American-made. I forgot to add that it has a single small bead front sight but no rear sight. Also, the ramrod has no button on the end as a shotgun rod has, suggesting that it shot a PRB.

Regards,
Bluejacket

My Ashmore had no rear sight and a inconsistent bore size .561 at breech .567 at muzzle and a loose breech plug It was found in the rafters of a woolen mill machine shop(Keegen's mill) on the french river in Wilsonville[url] CT.in[/url] the early 1940s by my Grandfather, Alside Langlois. my Grandson owns it now.--SPUD

Last edited by a moderator:
Back