• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Undersized balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markdwhite15

Chopper
Reaction score
I have read about native Americans using undersized balls in trade guns and fowlers. I am curious if anyone has tried using .562 balls in a 20 gauge fowler, and how that worked out.

I've fired .590" ball from my smoothbore. I used a thicker patch than usual and also 2 patches a few times. While accuracy was only "okay" it wasn't anything to brag about. I would trust it deer hunting at around 50 to 60 yards however.

Interesting, if I remember correctly the big trading outfits back in the day were mostly stocking .555 balls and powder imported from England or France.

The traders stocked a lot of "swan" shot too, probably effective at close range. Been thinking about getting a fowler, probably 20 gauge, and I have a lot of .562 balls and mold already.

Lee .60 ball molds are like $33, why shoot those itty bitty balls? ; ). That said, I too have a quantity of .562 balls that happened to come out slightly under size. They slide cleanly but slowly with a little “whistle” down my .56 smoothbore Renegade and shoot great.

Last edited:
Being a stickler for optimum accuracy with my rifled & smoothbore firearms requires a proper powder charge & patch & ball combo.

Shooters who have no interest in accuracy & just want to hear a boom, a little powder, collection of rocks, BBs & whatever for wadding will likely obtain the desired results. :)

In years past I competed monthly with a great club. In those times I had a few really nice flintlocks (pre divorce) One was a 20 gauge flintlock fowler built by a pal in the club, Ken Netting. Quality of that fowler was top notch, I tried many different load combinations trying to find a winning load for the smooth bore matches. I shot it from 10 to fifty yards. Went from easy loading combos that kept the ball seated, to loads so tight they had to be hammered home. None really stood out for accuracy. After reading historical accounts about the loads my Shawnee grandpas used, I was curious just how close they had to get to hit anything. Personally, I think they should have stayed with their bows.

We can agree on tight loads to a degree..
Those of us who have been successful at winning in ML competition have learned that a tight load will increase accuracy, but only if the correct sized ball & patch combo & powder charge is used for the depth of rifling & rate of twist in the barrel of the firearm.

A proper PRB combination is even more important for accuracy in barrels with shallow rifling when heavier charges are used to avoid blow-by & shredded patches.
Example;
Most shooters long time competitors will agree if your shooting a .50 cal. barrel with a .500 bore diameter & .006 deep rifling & are using .490 dia. balls & thick patches to make up the difference for a snug fit, that rifle won't produce as tight of groups if you use a .495 RB & lubed patches that are in the .010-.012 thickness range.

Hopefully this long winded response will also help some newer members who new to muzzleloading & are trying to get their front stuffers to shoot tight groups..

Yeah , give them a try ...never know . Ive only shot the traditional under sized ball out of my 20 ga. S ... .595, .600 . Some barrels prefer a patched round ball and others shoot a naked ball just as well as a patched ball ...why ? No clue ... Once you figure out what a gun prefers , your golden . Have fun

The traders stocked a lot of "swan" shot too, probably effective at close range. Been thinking about getting a fowler, probably 20 gauge, and I have a lot of .562 balls and mold already.
Swan shot was American #2. Shot heavy enough to kill a swan or goose.
Today people veil call odd shaped home made shot swan, but back in the day it was a size for water fowl

But the topic was trade guns & Fowlers.
Pardon my not mentioning smooth bore in my previous response..
I think most long time ML shooters might agree with the following.
Years ago when I actively operated my ML stores I always offered to measure bores & provide loading recommendations to my customers & to people who just walked it with a gun purchased elsewhere.

I've found that the patch & ball combination I mentioned previously works equally well for smooth bores as well, if accuracy is the goal & you won't need a mallet to load.

Example; If the bore is in good shape & the I.D measures .620,, a .610 RB & a lubed .015 patch will load easy, shoot accurate & also prevent excessive fouling buildup. Yes a .620 RB & thicker patch might work equally well.

This type of info. might help new guys on the forum get going with less hassle & disappointments that often run off new shooters.
I & many others have always felt that the above loading recommendations should have been included with all new
& custom ML guns.
Relic shooter

Back