• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ugliest knife and sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
I think this might take the prize, it's kind of what if one had an old knife and a chunk of Elk rawhide and no sinew or thread, it is laced with a rawhide strip from the same heavy material as the sheath, the knife is an old kitchen knife with linen wraped around the handle and then varnished for a larger handle and better grip...not intended to be based on anything from the past 'cept maybe is the had it they woulda...

DSCN0076.jpg

Not so fast, there.

My 'Ol Ugly rifleman's knife is a "reforged" Ford leafspring blade pinned (with snipped & peened iron nails) to a small antler crown wrapped with 1/8" asphalt/turpentine/linseed oil tarred jute marline for a better grip. Sheath ain't bad, and it does earn its keep as a camp knife, ground-blind trimmer, wood splitter and skull klonker for struggling small game. (I got the recipe from a replacement they tried when the preferred Stockholm Tar used for ship rigging was embargoed during the Revolution).

HPIM2601-1.jpg

HPIM2597-1.jpg

Cool, I have used the asphault turp stuff to darken gunstocks then wool it back to shade desired, it works good for that also.

TG
You win but I LIKE it a lot! I would carry it for sure.
Stump,I like yours as well but it's just not in the same [lack] of class..........LOL
Macon

The farther back in time I went with my interest the less and less I found myself attracted to fancy pretty accessories, not to say the people in the past did not have nice stuff but I do not think everyone did I like a more utilitarian concept with some things, I do not think it more or less correct just a different slice of history perhaps.and thanks Wick, that means a lot comming from one of the best knife makers around :idunno:

I hope you know I mean't that in a good way. I like it. It has that honest working knife look, with a sheath that is perfectly mated to it. I once owned one very similar that came out of West Virginia. Never could figure out what the grip was made from, but it was wrapped in some kind of material. Lost it the river. Never could find it.

well guys..I like them both... :thumbsup: but the true test of ugly..is if you can make another one..just like it...WITHOUT [strike]improving[/strike]..changing it's appearance.. it in any way...

it's a question of conscience,,an will power! :wink:

TG, your knife looks more PC/HC than many of the fancy, precision made, highly polished knives we see on here. It actually looks like someone would have (and did) use that knife. Great job. :thumbsup:

I hope you know I mean't that in a good way."

oh yeah, I was just funnin' with everyone, this knife has been in a box of junk for ten years so I thought I would use an old chunk of Elk hide I found buried in the shop and make someythimng out of it all.It was more of a joke at first but the more I see it the more I like it, i will probably use it for a blanket prize or give it to a youngster, I try to have extra stuff onhand so if there are any kids building up their gear I can contribute to their outfit, it does not take a lot to light up their eyes when you give them something and knives are always a favorite, I do ask their parents first though

I really like it. The pretty stuff is great, but I often try to think what would someone at Ft. Fincastle or eatern TN circa 1791 do if they needed a knife in the day? I know that top notch items were there, but not everyone had access nor the funds to obtain them.

Back