• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti spare cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening,
When ordering a spare cylinder for a Uberti 1860 army, is it common to have to fit the new cylinder to the gun? I just bought one online, and I’m going to call tomorrow, but the new cylinder is nothing like the one that came with the gun. Not only is the quality subpar, but fitment is an issue as well. The cylinder is .010 longer than my original, and the bolt stops are shaped differently. Mind you I just bought the revolver only a couple months ago. I have one ordered on back order from Taylor’s, but I hope I don’t get one again of this quality. The new one has the trapezoid looking bolt stop, and no it’s not the picture that’s blurry, the engraving is pretty bad. And it’s hard to tell in the picture, but the bluing is not near as good as the original
BE134275-C08A-45E6-B135-10ED2B5415F5.jpeg
CFED7F6E-FFA4-4986-B0A4-25F24C7B59FF.jpeg

I’m really hoping the one from Taylor’s is like the original. I’m aware of the quality control issues with these Italian clones, but this is a huge difference in my eyes. It can’t be my luck that they changed the tooling in a couple months time. I can’t even check if it functions correctly because it’s longer than the original.

Heard of similar problems as typical over the years from fellow BP shooters. Expected quality control to improve in the past few years with switch over to modern CNC. Visited Dixie G.W. middle 2019 to buy a few Colts and Remingtons with extra cylinders. Found a great Remington Navy by Uberti but of the spare 7 cylinders none were a drop in fit for that or another Rem. Navy Uberti tried. Same problems with the Colts. Then I had some good luck with a Pietta 2019 Rem. Army .44 from EMF. They said all would be drop in if ordered from the same 2019 batch. They were right. All 4 extra cylinders fit drop in perfect measurements same as the original. Nice to load 30 rounds at home, snap the rubber covers on an just cap and shoot...c

Lippy984: Who was your online source for the sub-par cylinder ?
Numrich... but I’m not blasting them. They were the only ones who had these in stock at the time. They advertise as “New factory original”. But I don’t know how old they are, or if it truly is a Uberti cylinder. It just came in a clear bag. Hopefully the one from Taylor’s gets the same treatment they give their guns

Just for example, maybe it’s because it’s just a cylinder but there are no proof marks like the original. And the original’s engraving is crisp and clean. It says “Engraved by W.L. Ormsby New York” where as the new one does not. In fact the “patent N.” Isn’t even centered
E6BD0025-DC62-4A41-9540-C425851FE353.jpeg

I purchased a Uberti Walker about 3 months ago and ordered a spare cylinder from Dixie 3 weeks later. The spare cylinder fits the Walker perfectly no issues. The gun was purchased from Midway as as I said the cylinder was from Dixie. It matches the original in fit and finish - no complaints here ;) :thumb:

Just for example, maybe it’s because it’s just a cylinder but there are no proof marks like the original. And the original’s engraving is crisp and clean. It says “Engraved by W.L. Ormsby New York” where as the new one does not. In fact the “patent N.” Isn’t even centered
View attachment 63147

That is absolutely not an Uberti cylinder. As was pointed out, the trapezoidal stop slots (along with the very long approaches), as well as it being a tenth of an inch short point me to an old ASM or other obscure manufacturer. There is a guy on another forum in Germany re-creating (at large expense) a couple of Tucker, Sherrard, and Company revolvers using ASM Dragoons as donor guns and the cylinders were about a tenth of an inch short from Uberti Dragoons, which was perfect for his re-creation historically. I know we are talking apples (Dragoon) from oranges (1860 Army) but I thought I would mention it, FWIW.

Regards,

Jim

Not downing Numrich, but they will sell just about anything in their inventory, buyer beware.

UBERTI quality has gone up. The manufacturing was upgraded when the Beretta
related group bought Uberti in 2002. Now everything is produced on a computer
operated multi mill that is state of the art. The machining is flawless. Pietta has
also improved. Both Brands are great and good quality. The best shooting pistol
I have had was a 1858 stainless target Pietta with special rifling--absolute tack
driver. Of course I was younger too. The 1858 Stainless target by Uberti I posted some
time ago is pretty, but not the shooter of the Pietta target. Pietta has an awesome
barrel on those targets-- and that was an older target model too. My Son got it.
Pietta, Uberti, ASM, Euroarms are all good to have. But many cylinders are out there
from past production runs of these brands. You might have one of those. Always
buy with an inspection period. Expect what you Inspect.

Good evening,
When ordering a spare cylinder for a Uberti 1860 army, is it common to have to fit the new cylinder to the gun? I just bought one online, and I’m going to call tomorrow, but the new cylinder is nothing like the one that came with the gun. Not only is the quality subpar, but fitment is an issue as well. The cylinder is .010 longer than my original, and the bolt stops are shaped differently. Mind you I just bought the revolver only a couple months ago. I have one ordered on back order from Taylor’s, but I hope I don’t get one again of this quality. The new one has the trapezoid looking bolt stop, and no it’s not the picture that’s blurry, the engraving is pretty bad. And it’s hard to tell in the picture, but the bluing is not near as good as the original View attachment 63124View attachment 63125
Ouch! I’d send it back.

Typical of what I have seen lately from Uberti. Statement will likely irritate some.
Maybe. I’ve long preferred Uberti over Pietta. But the recent efforts from both manufacturers are very good quality. At least those I’ve seen. I would expect CNC manufacturing would give them both the opportunity at least to provide consistent quality, fit and finish.

That being said, I would hesitate to buy any secondhand stuff online at least for the present time. To many people are unloading the pieces of junk they’ve had languishing under the workbench or in the basement...

That is absolutely not an Uberti cylinder. As was pointed out, the trapezoidal stop slots (along with the very long approaches), as well as it being a tenth of an inch short point me to an old ASM or other obscure manufacturer. There is a guy on another forum in Germany re-creating (at large expense) a couple of Tucker, Sherrard, and Company revolvers using ASM Dragoons as donor guns and the cylinders were about a tenth of an inch short from Uberti Dragoons, which was perfect for his re-creation historically. I know we are talking apples (Dragoon) from oranges (1860 Army) but I thought I would mention it, FWIW.

Regards,

Jim

Not downing Numrich, but they will sell just about anything in their inventory, buyer beware.
Thanks. I immediately thought there was no way this was Uberti. The difference was too drastic for “lack of quality control”. I called and was able to send it back. Just have to wait for Taylor’s to be back in stock

UBERTI quality has gone up. The manufacturing was upgraded when the Beretta
related group bought Uberti in 2002. Now everything is produced on a computer
operated multi mill that is state of the art. The machining is flawless. Pietta has
also improved. Both Brands are great and good quality. The best shooting pistol
I have had was a 1858 stainless target Pietta with special rifling--absolute tack
driver. Of course I was younger too. The 1858 Stainless target by Uberti I posted some
time ago is pretty, but not the shooter of the Pietta target. Pietta has an awesome
barrel on those targets-- and that was an older target model too. My Son got it.
Pietta, Uberti, ASM, Euroarms are all good to have. But many cylinders are out there
from past production runs of these brands. You might have one of those. Always
buy with an inspection period. Expect what you Inspect.
Being this is my first black powder revolver, I was very impressed with my Uberti. That’s why I was shocked when this cylinder came.

Maybe. I’ve long preferred Uberti over Pietta. But the recent efforts from both manufacturers are very good quality. At least those I’ve seen. I would expect CNC manufacturing would give them both the opportunity at least to provide consistent quality, fit and finish.

That being said, I would hesitate to buy any secondhand stuff online at least for the present time. To many people are unloading the pieces of junk they’ve had languishing under the workbench or in the basement...
Yeah I’ll be sticking with Taylor’s from now on. Numrich may be good with other parts, I don’t know. But this bothered me cause it specifically said “Uberti factory original part”

Last couple of Uberti that I have come into had arbors over .100” short and bore groove diameters well over cylinder bore diameter. Guess I am too fussy. Oh, and they didn’t shoot very accurately, at least in my opinion.

Back