• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti army accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently read that in early tests of Colt's Navy, the revolver was fired 1500 times with only one cleaning. I would love to know how they managed that!

I find that if I use Trip7 powder I can fire all day without cleaning. The fouling is quite a bit less. For a test I fired a full cylinder of my Remy with BP, and set it aside for a couple of days. I picked it up and the cylinder would turn but be mighty stiff, and fairly crudded up Then I did the same with Trip7, the cylinder turned freely enough that I would take it out and shoot, dirty yes but easily cleanable. I didn't do any long term set aside due to I like my guns and didn't want to take a chance of ruining one.

I've had great results with 777 also. No lube and no wads. It's pretty hot stuff though, never put it on paper to see how accurate it was.

Mike Brooks said:
file your muzzles till they hit where you want them to.
Sounds interesting, could you please spell it to me.
And, thanks to all the comments, as an answer to several:. I was not quite correct, the grouping was god, but it shot up and right.
Distance was 25 meters, I shot from a rest.
I have tried varios loads.
My quistion is in fact, is there any way to correct this, besides weldin shim to the side of the corn.

But this was in the early 1850s when the military was testing the Navy and they were using black powder 'cuz that's all they had. I don't see how they managed 1500 shots with only one cleaning but I would definitely like to know.

I suppose it might depend on how they were loading the pistol.

If they were loading pre-loaded cylinders by removing the barrel the old cylinder would wipe off the fouling from the cylinder pin as it was being removed.
Also, if they used this method of reloading I'm sure they applied some new grease to the grooves on the cylinder pin before placing the new cylinder in place. After all, that's what they are there for.

With the fouling issues on the cylinder pin taken care of why wouldn't the pistol just keep on shooting? The fouling in the bore wouldn't keep it from firing.

Jan Buchwald said:
Mike Brooks said:
file your muzzles till they hit where you want them to.
Sounds interesting, could you please spell it to me.
And, thanks to all the comments, as an answer to several:. I was not quite correct, the grouping was god, but it shot up and right.
Distance was 25 meters, I shot from a rest.
I have tried varios loads.
My quistion is in fact, is there any way to correct this, besides weldin shim to the side of the corn.
You can change the point of impact with shotguns the same way. I can't remember which way you file to move the POI one way or the other, Paul V would know. In fact, I wouldn't take long to figure it out at the gun range. I received a pair of used 1860's from a guy that filed the muzzles to change POI. They both shoot exactly the same place, pretty handy when you're shooting guns as a pair in cowboy action.

Latest posts

Back