• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1848 Whitneyville Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not extremely familiar with colts, but it seems like a 1st model Dragoon with the old style Walker grips.

I definitely can sympathize with the large hand syndrome.

my oversize hands get bumped and smacked often with most revolvers. this is the 'why' of why I love the 1860 army grip so well. I know that this grip frame will transfer to a '73' colt style as ive done it...but don't know about the pattern on the dragoon frame. be interesting to find out tho.

my remmy 1858 is a knuckle buster to my hands and I hate this as I really like the remmy style.

This is what caught my eye in one of the reviews:

I purchased one of these some time back, as I wanted a Dragoon pistol with a Walker grip frame (I have large hands)....The grips fit my hand perfectly, and feel much more comfortable than a regular Dragoon revolver grip frame.

He's saying the grip is larger than the Dragoon grip, not the Walker grip.

The Dragoons were a bit smaller than the Walker in all respects.
The Whitneyville Walker was basically a Walker with a couple of improvements. I'm pretty sure it is using the same grip as the Walker.

Those original "Whitneyville" pistols were the earliest run of what's been called the first model Dragoon. They were made using the excess of Walker grip frames and grips from Eli Whitney's original production of the "Walker" revolvers. I'd have to do some hunting to fine out if an actual count is known on this version, the current guns made by Pedersoli include this earliest version of the "Dragoon" series of guns. the Walker grip is only marginally longer than the later Dragoon style though and I don't know if a shooter could actually notice a great difference however.

The Whitneyville is basically a 1st Model Dragoon with the Walker grip frame. If the Walker grip is larger than the Dragoon, I can't tell it. Both are very large, larger than an 1860 but not uncomfortable for my size 9 hands.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I think I'm going to wait until I can get one in my hands before deciding to buy. Very interesting gun in any case!

Back