• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New to forum and getting back into black powder revolvers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbk0861

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everybody. When I first got into bp I had only used a walker and then a dragoon in .44. bought a Remington a few years back and loved the quick cylinder changes on it but ended up giving it to a friend. I've recently picked up a traditions set with a brass 1851 navy in .44 because of a sale and immediately afterwards ran into a pair of navy .36 one is euroarms and the other is navy arms. They will need a little work which won't be too much of an issue since I work at a machine shop. But my main question I have is are any parts compatible off of other Colt models. I'd like to see if it's possible to put the grip from a dragoon or anything larger than the navy since I have huge hands. Anyone ever have success making a colt frankengun? I can probably return my .44 navy since it was bought at a department store here and just order a dragoon again, but if I can just order the parts from other models to save money I'd like to try that out.

1860army grip frames are longer than navies. Piettas are a touch bigger than Uberti, that may be the way to go. It will probably cost you almost as much as a complete revolver though. You can look up prices at VTI GUN PARTS, that's IF they are available. Why not just buy a Pietta (traditions) 1860 Army and live happily ever after? Whatever you do, keep us in the loop and don't forget the pictures!

Some of the different makers parts are not interchangeable as is. Some of the parts suppliers list parts as fitting only a certain manufacturer. Even some of the same manufacturers earlier pieces and later pieces don't all interchange parts due to changes to manufacturing processes and supplier changes over two or three decades of time.

Last edited:
Hey everybody. When I first got into bp I had only used a walker and then a dragoon in .44. bought a Remington a few years back and loved the quick cylinder changes on it but ended up giving it to a friend. I've recently picked up a traditions set with a brass 1851 navy in .44 because of a sale and immediately afterwards ran into a pair of navy .36 one is euroarms and the other is navy arms. They will need a little work which won't be too much of an issue since I work at a machine shop. But my main question I have is are any parts compatible off of other Colt models. I'd like to see if it's possible to put the grip from a dragoon or anything larger than the navy since I have huge hands. Anyone ever have success making a colt frankengun? I can probably return my .44 navy since it was bought at a department store here and just order a dragoon again, but if I can just order the parts from other models to save money I'd like to try that out.
I have the same problem. 1860 army frames fit me best so that is what I shoot. If I shot 36’s I’d fit an army grip frame to the navy.

@Pete453 mentioned VTI.
I have found VTI's - parts list to be a very good resource for Cross/Brand and Cross/model parts research.
When you select a brand and model of an individual revolver and search the parts listings,, you will see "use Uberti part #xxxx,
or "use Pietta part# xxxx, or use 1862 part#xxxx -(needs to be thinned)",, in their comments. Sometimes you see a plain "Obsolete" there too.
+ they have pretty decent photo's of actual listings

Thank you very much for all the replies, I'll have to consider it all. Here are pics of the 2 .36 navies I just got and here's my current out of the box .44 navy shooting a toilet in front of my house.

Attachments

• IMG_20221208_130910.jpg
    IMG_20221208_130910.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • VID_20221204_155617.mp4
    4.4 MB
Thank you very much for all the replies, I'll have to consider it all. Here are pics of the 2 .36 navies I just got and here's my current out of the box .44 navy shooting a toilet in front of my house.
They are toilet killers for certain!

Back