• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

type of wool for a shirt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fort fireman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Im thinking of making a wool pull over lng shirt, hunting shirt, waggonners shirt, what ever you want to call it. :grin: I'm wanting to do it to wear under my linen stuff for alittle more warmth. My question is , for warmth which way do I want to go? Wool Broadcloth or wool flannel?

Broadcloth is thicker, and probably better suited for a wesket or coat. I would use a lighter flannel for an undergarment. Wm Booth Draper has a good assortment of quality products and examples of their uses.

I would find a pattern then I have 2 patterns with drastically different yardage required

Wools shirts appear to be uncommon. Better a wool waistcoat or coat (depending on your persona) of broadcloth.

I do have a wool waistcoat. I'm looking for something to go along with it. I'm wanting something to wear under the waistcoat on cold wet days. Let's face it linen sucks when it gets wet. I was thinking a wool shirt, wool weskit, linen pull over then my linen caped frock. I could shed layers as needed. My two linen shirts are very thin. If you hold them up they let light through. Not much for warmth.

I had the wife sew me two shirts like you are talking about, one out of very heavy wool and one out of lighter wool. I wear them both about equal amounts of time. The heavy one under my cartharts when hunting, the lighter one at spring and fall rendezvous to "cut the Chill". :idunno: :idunno:

You should consider a sleeved wool waistcoat and/or frock coat. Remember that during the 1700s & 1800s, a shirt was considered underwear, and a properly dressed man did NOT go out in public without a coat (or a hat).

Measure your linen shirt that fits best, leave x-tra inch or so for seam, and figure yardage from there. I would use the same "pattern" as your linen shirt. They are basically squares and rectangles. a commercial pattern is not necessary for a simple shirt.

Latest posts

Back