• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Type F tans fluid??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just bought a TVM .40 caliber flintlock. As far as instructions to care for the barrel and wood, they recommend Type F transmission fluid, have you heard of this? Do you recommend it? I figured there would be a small issue of smell. I know not to use in the barrel, but I thought I would ask.
If there is something better, please let me know. My barrel is of antique finish, which is a way they brown, and then strip the barrel to where is looks almost in the white.
Thanks again.
Aim small, miss small...

For the wood? I'd recommend against. I've used Dextron III & IV as a metal preservative for years. The tranny in my boat recommends I flood the case with it for winter storage to keep the plates clean. I also use it as an after-run oil in my R/C engines. It is good on metal. If you use it in the barrel wipe it out with a 91% alcohol patch (and I also recommend a wipe with a lubed patch on the jag) before loading.

Seems like it would go after wood finishes, though.

I use Beechwood-Casey Barricade as a metal protector and paste wax with an annual rubbing of boiled linseed oil (after deer season) on the wood. Paste wax on the metal will help with the out-of-doors and trips back in as well. I have kept in-the-white looking the same with the above (or with Sheath - the forerunner of Barricade).

Others swear by Ballistol but the smell is horrible.

Stumpkiller, I appreciate your input. I will try your way, I was concerned about the trans fluid to.

Aim small, miss small...

I've never been one to get involved in all the chemical warfare people seem to enjoy when it comes to cleaning materials, patch lubes and gun care products, so I would never use transmission fluid on my guns. That said, if TVM recommends it on the wood of their guns, I'd be greatly surprised if it would damage the wood. Seems they would wind up buying back a lot of guns.

Spence

I agree, if TVM said ATF is OK for wood, I wouldn't dispute them. I've never tried ATF on wood but may try it.

Thanks Spence, and to everyone else whom replyied. I aprreciate all your words of wisdom. I am like most of you, have never heard of it, but hey it must work, and is cheap!
Thanks again.

Aim small, miss small...

The thing is it has to be TYPE F. I've been using it on both metal and wood for years and it is great. It puts a nice sheen on the stock that will eventually "harden" the wood by, well, I don't really know but it does seem to. It also helps preserve the finish. The stuff is waxy unlike other types of tranny fluid which are oil based.

Mine came with the same suggestion...I don't happen to use it, not because I doubt TVM's suggestion, just that I'm all set up with what I've used on all my guns for decades and just use those same products

I have used Type F transmission fluid as per TVM's instructions without any adverse effects.

Me, too. That and the paste wax. Gun looks nice when I'm done.

I was concerned about the trans fluid to.
Think for a moment. Matt Avance is in the business of making and selling muzzleloaders. Do you think that he would recommend something that would harm the brand new gun that you just bought from him....and do it in writing?
Naw, I don't think so. Have a little faith.
Pete

I also use type F, on my Flintlock after cleaning I wipe down barrel & wood and the bore, then before shooting I run a dry patch then alcohol patch down and good togo :thumbsup:

Pete, I know what you are saying, to me I just never heard of that before. I did not doubt him, or maybe I did, just different.
Thanks.
Aim small, miss small...

Thanks Samuel. What kind of Type F, MObile, etc., etc. or it does not matter??
Aim small, miss small...

I also use furniture paste wax on my stocks from time to time. The type F goes on after every cleaning.

I was trying to hide a gouge in a TVM stock and asked what stain they used so I could match it. My jaw hit my knee when Tony said ATF. :haha:

Back