• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two more scratched off a too long list

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am Timber Wolf and I have a problem, but I recognize it, own up to it, and am working on it. Over the years I have been severely afflicted with GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome). This is not really the problem but it has led to me owning several firearms I have never shot. THAT is the problem. It is pretty dadgum pitiful and more than a little embarrassing to admit, especially on a public forum. At any rate I am endeavoring to rectify the situation, at least as fair as my BP guns are concerned.

This past weekend I made smoke and banged steel with two T/C percussion rifles that have been in the safe unfired (by me) for far too long. First up was a nice “Round Ball Twist” .54 Renegade Percussion. I bought this many years ago from a walker at a gun show. I already had a regular .54 Renegade but thought the RB rifle was neat so bought it. It shot really nice with both .530 & .535 and various patch sizes.

Next up was another RB Renegade but this one a .58 with a Green Mountain ssslllooowww twist barrel. I had wanted one of these barrels for a long time. Green Mountain was out of stock but I put my name on a waiting list for one. When they made a run and my name came up, I did not have the money and passed. Years later this complete rifle came up on Gonebroker and I was the only one to bid, but did pay a fair price (at the time). The seller told me he and his Dad built two of these identical rifles. His Dad got on in years and wanted to sell his. In addition to the GM barrel in a Renegade stock, it had Lyman sights front/rear, leather lace-on sling, a mold and other smalls. I am a little surprised it took me so long to shoot this rifle as long as I wanted it. Man those big slugs slap the steel hard, bet they would lay a deer down DRT (dead right there). Oh happy days, gun cleaning and all.

I am Lawrence and I to have a severe case of GAS.
I had not bought a gun for 3 months then fell off the wagon badly. I bought 2 about 4 weeks ago and another 2 weeks ago.
Like Timber wolf I recognise the symptoms and the only cure seems to be no room in the safes. 😢
All I really need is more access to hunting grounds. How else can I ensure they are worn out before I pass them on?

OH the shame! Oh the calamity! Oh the embarrassment! Oh the thrill! Oh the whatever it is that makes you smile!!!

Hello my name is ppg1949 and I am a GAS’er. I can’t resist the urge to buy when a gun calls to me, especially if the price is right. And as such I have guns that I have never fired. It is a most terrible addiction.

I have to look the other way when I see another likely acquisition!!! My income is not able to support more collecting.
I'll just listen to you spendy types suffer through!!
LBL

My name is Pietro, and I've gone through the seven steps (guns) every year for 60 years, but now that I've retired am finally clean..... ;)

This Gas There do'es seem to be a lot of it I will be shooting three flint rifles on Sunday, two never fired ( Well there just finished) the others 40 year old but its barrel of 54 cal is yet another new brl. it had a 45 & still has a 50 cal option . Cant say it worries me. Hopeless case clearly .
Rudyard

As detailed in a different thread, i just got bit by another species of spider - that Nepalese P53... how am i ever gonna esplain that to my longrifles?

Or Herself?

Hello, I'm Nicksdad and I'm new here. I am also a GAS'er. I have 5 flintlock rifles, 4 or 5 percussion pistols,
and about 4 SAA's and I've never shot any of them. In fact, I've never shot a flintlock in my life. I just love
to collect them.

Hello, I'm F Scot and I have terminal GAS. I fell off and under the wagon about 5 years ago, after nearly 40 yrs of respectability.
I caught this dread disease when I was a young, impressionable hellion.

My reentry drug was a RNA .36, then I stole a short Tradition Hawken. Then at Friendship, a .45 kit needing tuning & TLC drew me back to the primitive side.

Then I was a willowy SMR, wearing a stunning tiger stripe sheath, persuaded me to sell all three to make her a kept weapon.

Worst, I am totally unrepentant. I fear I will succumb again, as soon as I can divert enough money from rent, food and such. Is there a help line I can call?

Latest posts

Back