• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two 45 light load questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axesbold

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all.... I have a .45 flint, 42", that I've pulled out recently after probably a ten year hiatus. It's a TVM poor boy from the early 90's. I was wondering about reduced loads and how small a ball I can use, practically speaking, or maybe better to ask what is the thickest patch that can be used to decrease the size of the ball and be reasonably accurate?

My target load has been 50gr, .433 or .440, pillow ticking, and wonder lube. I like fff Goex.

I've searched for answers and have found many that, with a 440 ball, recommend a 30 grain charge. Some say, if I read it right, this load will have the same zero at 25 yard as a 70g load at 80 yards. I was wanting to verify this info and seek ideas for light loads. I like to plink, maybe take a shot at a random squirrel or rat, but still have a known zero for a more full-house load. I don't know if this is an intelligent question, but am hoping for a head start on the weekend when I'll have some time with the gun for the first time in quite a while. If this has already been discussed a link would be great as my searching hasn't been too good!

Thanks!

Only you and your rifle will be able to determine how well it will shoot with a light load. Go shoot it and see, I use to shoot a 35 grain charge in a 50 cal for small game hunting. It didn't shoot exactly to the same spot at 25 yds but close enough.

RB

Thanks RB. Will be shooting it this weekend and looking forward seeing how it goes...

My .45 LR's favorite squirrel load is 30 grs 3f and a .440 RB used w .018 pillow ticking patch. Zero is at 25 yds. Upping the powder charge to 70 grs 3f w/ the same PRB yields a 75 yd zero which isn't quite as accurate as the squirrel load but is quite sufficient for deer. Shooting both these loads interchangeably requires no sight adjustments.

It took a little "playing around" to arrive at these loads and I suppose it wouldn't be possible w/ some rifles....possibly a good starting point for you, but you'll just have to experiment....Good Luck......Fred

axesbold said:
Thanks RB. Will be shooting it this weekend and looking forward seeing how it goes...

You have found the solution and answered your own question. Only shooting it will tell you what it does with various loads, patch/ball combos, etc.
Historically, light loads were used. Light loads save powder and will discourage squirrels and injuns alike.
Do yer thang and report back what ye larn from yer own experiences. :wink:

I would not think that a ball smaller than .433 would be a advantage. At that you will need at least .018 patches if the .440's work. Is your main goal economy? If so you can try really light loads. Depending on barrel twist you may or may not get accuracy. My rifles hace round ball twists 1 in 60 or more so I get better accuracy at 1 1/2 bore diameter loads. Like 75 in a 50.
Hey thats the fun part that many of us go thru.

Geo. T.

Thanks for all the replies... really appreciated. As to the small balls economy plays the big part in the thought, as I love to plink.... I cast, and lead is getting harder to scrounge for me, and I'm just curious how thick you can patch and still have accuracy. I'll start at 30g with the 433's and go from there. My gun is 1 in 60.

in theory, the thicker the patch the more likely you are to experience blow-by, and less engagement of the rifling. We simply can not exert (by normal means) the kind of pressure in loading as the expanding gas can at firing. Since a PRB only makes its' tightest contact with the patch, lands and grooves at the tangent line, and the ball generally doesn't deform, so the tighter the contact area, the better the spin is imparted to the ball, and ensuing predictability of impact point.

I own two .45s, a flint and a percussion. For an accurate small game/plinking/target load, 30grns 3F and a .440" (.445" works just fine, too) patched with a .024" ticking patch lubed with Hoppes #9 Plus BP Lube gives squirrel head groups out farther than I can hit one. Patches can be reused.

Very helpful info that is appreciated. I'll take the advice and see how it goes.

@ Col B... Thanks for these thoughts. They make perfect sense. I hope to eventually play with some thick patches but don't think I'll get to it this trip.

Back