• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Twisted Question...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew, or could point me to a site that tells about barrel twist rates for what type projectiles?
I have a gun with a 1:48 twist, but not sure what the best projectile would be. I have only shot some cheap shot sabots through it so far. Gonna get some round balls soon and see how that works. (The sabots hit to the right of point of aim)

my T/C hawkens is a 1/48" twist .50 and useing 70 grs fer PRB and 80 fer the cheap shots i have the same POA fer both ammo if this helps.............bob

Just speaking in generalities, the 1:48 twist barrel is a compromise between the faster 1:28 twist barrels designed to shoot sabots, and the 1:60 twist barrels designed to shoot patched round balls.

Also, generally speaking, shallow grooves like .003-.005 are designed for sabots while .008-.012 deep grooves are designed for patched round balls.

As I say, many of the current guns are using a 1:48 twist with a .005-.008 rifling depth. They are a compromise.

This is not to say they are bad. In fact, they will often proove to be much more accurate than the shooter is.

You will see many of us saying the modern In-Line guns will shoot poorly with a round patched ball, and often this turns out to be true. IMO, the culprit is the shallow depth of the grooves, not the rate of twist. Shallow grooves don't seem to be able to get a good grip on the cloth patch so it often slips or skips over the grooves.
IMO, this slipping can cause the cloth to tear and burn thru. If that happens, the high pressure gas leaks past one side of the ball and deflects it as it leaves the muzzle causing erratic groups.

The 1:60 twist barrels usually don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize long bullets so the bullets may turn end over end, or wobble while they are in flight. This wobble will produce unpredictable trajectories and create the "keyholes" often seen in the target or hide they hit.

Back