• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Twangy Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a squeak Oldwood, clearly a twang, like a guitarist doesn't have his finger all the way on a fret, or maybe just a normal banjo twang, HAH. Anyway, I use Mobile 1 and always make sure the little frizzen bering gets a touch and moves freely.
Robby........It may have a dry frizzen bearing screw. If you tilt the frizzen in the front fired direction , from the pan side in the front of the pan flat you can put a drop or two of oil in each side of the frizzen bearing . From there the lube should flow down into the frizzen axil bearing. Put a drop on the frizzen spring wheel too. ...................Give it a shot, see if the squeak goes away.oldwood

I remove my locks after use and clean them with hot water and a tooth brush then oil them with a lanolin based lube . Now I will wash the locks , scrub , dry oil and grease .
The twang is still there but it is so reduced that one has to be picky to notice it .

Fix for frizzen bounce.
If your not familiar with tuning a flintlock it would be difficult for me to describe how to resolve the frizzen bounce issue I think your concerned with. This utube video link on tuning will help explain better than I can with words .
Happy trails,
Relic shooter

Siler Lock Spring Fix & Tune - YouTube

Well that was interesting , thanks relic . I have a couple of spare springs I will practice on . I am interested in the color change , I can do this but I just don't want to have the spring go "Pink" :thumb:

Well that was interesting , thanks relic . I have a couple of spare springs I will practice on . I am interested in the color change , I can do this but I just don't want to have the spring go "Pink" :thumb:
Bet you will do well tuning your lock Cutfinger, you have some beautiful big game hunting country in NZ .
I've enjoyed checking out the black powder shoots, rendezvous & firearms from your neck of the woods on the svartkrutt.net forum.
relic shooter

Fix for frizzen bounce.
If your not familiar with tuning a flintlock it would be difficult for me to describe how to resolve the frizzen bounce issue I think your concerned with. This utube video link on tuning will help explain better than I can with words .
Happy trails,
Relic shooter

Siler Lock Spring Fix & Tune - YouTube

Two things I do differently that has worked for many years. The bend in the top leaf should be left in as it helps ease the flex shock movement in the spring transition between toe and heel. The movement is angular on an arc from the bend instead of a double tap slap of the straightened out lever. It's easier on the spring by making a smoother flex. I'd leave the curve in and reduce the top leaf cross section maintaining the taper.
Secondly I never draw temper past straw if using a torch but a trick I picked up from a black smith many year ago has worked perfectly and I've never lost a spring from the technique. Mix up a small amount 50-50 motor oil and kerosene. Lay the hardened spring on it's side in a flat tin and cover the spring just over the top of it on it's side with the oil mix. Take the tin out doors, out of the wind and light the oil with a torch and let it burn out by it self. The spring will be tempered as good as I can get it in my digital furnace and I have no idea of the heat range it went through as it will be sooty black and cleaning it up does not leave much color to read.
The technique is not very scientific but has been used for hundreds of years and works as good today as it did many centuries ago.

Back