• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Snapped frizzen spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Meyer

40 Cal
Reaction score
I recently bought an older, circa 1980ish Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle, 50cal flintlock. The frizzen spring snapped. DGW doesnt have replacements, as this gun has been out of production since 2001. I plan on replacing the entire lock with a new one from L&R, but still want to fix the old lock. I'll be going to the fall shoot in Friendship, IN in a couple weeks and bet if anyone has one, itll be there.

My question is, how important is having THAT particular frizzen spring? Are frizzen springs in general that individualized to the lock, or would any that fit work? I took the broken one out and have both pieces. Replacement seems easy enough if I could find the part. Someone school me on replacing frizzen springs, thx.

If all else fails, go to a gunsmith supply, like Brownell's. They sell springs for all kinds of fix-it jobs. Some are bent into the shape you need for a frizzen and will only need some grinding to fit.

I went to the Deer Creek web site and they didn't show any springs for a Dixie Tennessee rifle.

It might be worth a phone call to them to ask about it in person though.

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182

(765) 525-6181

If you send the lock to Jamie at Dixie Gun Works he will replace the spring with a part he has on hand.

Otherwise I would order a cast frizzen spring with extra metal on the lug/tit to fit.

I have been in contact with him. He gave me a DGW part # for a different frizzen spring that he said can be made to work and I bought it, got it, color matched/browned it. Its definitely beefier, and I'll need to drill a new hole in the lock plate for the tit. I dont have a mainspring vise(will be getting one!) so being as I'm going to Friendship Saturday, I'm gonna bring it and have the guts at the armory fix it for me. And I'm gonna buy the L&R drop in lock.

If you send the lock to Jamie at Dixie Gun Works he will replace the spring with a part he has on hand.

Otherwise I would order a cast frizzen spring with extra metal on the lug/tit to fit.

TP0909 Frizzen Spring, high quality (repro.) for 1819 North Pistol and also for 1826 & 1836 Waters & Johnson Type Flint

This is what I ordered, per Jamie.

I would contact Jack First. They have a web page now. Or find one that is close enough to modify. Brownnells has a good video on spring making. It’s nit as hard to do as you’d think. The also sell materials to make the spring then you just have to heat treat it to create the spring.

I made many springs from oil hardening tool steel. Mainsprings and frizzen springs still going after 60 years.
If you buy one close and have to fit, make sure there are no scratches from your tools.

Back