• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paco97

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the word on the streets about these Flintlocks? His prices seem pretty decent, but do you get what you pay for, or are they are real quality gun at a nice price.

Paco, There are two TVMs. If you are asking about the flintlocks from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, they are very, very good. That's the outfit headed by Matt & Toni Avance. They are very nice to work with and you get your choice of some custom features, such as the length of pull, at no extra cost. The other TVM is Tennessee Valley Manufacturing and they mainly provide parts or kits. To get a finished gun, go with Matt & Toni Avance. Le Grand

paco97 said:
What's the word on the streets about these Flintlocks? His prices seem pretty decent, but do you get what you pay for, or are they are real quality gun at a nice price.

The other TVM is run by Jack Garner who used to own the TVM you are asking about. I have one of his guns from the mid 90's, and it is a nice gun. His website lists finished guns for sale also.

I have a gun that I purchased from Jack Garner about three years ago, at Friendship. It was made by Brian Turner (both Jack and Brian's work can be seen on Track of the Wolf).

It is a .50 calibre Tennessee Flintlock of about 1815 in style, and it is VERY well made! It has an L&R lock, and the ignition is INSTANTANEOUS. It drives a tack.

I would not hesitate to purchase another gun from them......

TVM?
WEll lets see I own five and have another on the way.
The only thing is if you live in a dry climate like I do, You may have to bed the barrel because the forend may dry and shrink a little.
A small price to pay for a custom gun and good conversation with Toni Avance.
:hatsoff:

I got one of Jack's in .40 about 6 months ago. The rifle was made about 30years ago. Its a very nicely build rifle and I am still trying to find out how good it will shoot. I shot a 5 shot group at 100Yd bench that you could cover with a silver dollar. Probably never be able to do that again but will keep trying. I don't know about Matt's gun's but hear they are as good or better than jack's. If so they both are great buys for the money, good guns and great people to deal with.
Fox :thumbsup:

I did own one made by Matt Avance. Great quality, very solidly built!!! They use high quality parts and have great service!!! I sold mine because I needed the money to pay for school. Otherwise, I would still have it.

Marc Findlay

Matt and Toni get two thumbs up. The Southern Rifle they made for me is outstanding! Customer service is like you are dealing with family. :thumbsup:

I have four of the TVM Flinters they are great. I have talked to Mat and Toni a number of times at Ft. Bridger, Wyoming. They are very nice folks to deal with . They are the most honest gun people I have ever bought a rifle from. :thumbsup:

Another thumbs up for Matt and Toni. Just received my fowler and it looks great and shoots the same. You cant go wrong with these folks, I am about to order an iron lancaster from them.

I have one from Jack Garner parts which is AKA Jack's Stock shop. I also have a kit from Matt and Toni which is Tenn Valley Muzzleloading.

Bith guns are good. Some do not like the fact that the back end of the ramrod channel is routered out rather than simply drilled. I do not share this concern as I like to glass bed anyway.

The parts are pretty good and they are great people to deal with. Toni write here under the name Slash and is a wonderful person -- I bought through her and her husband and they were helpful and patient with this picky guy. I visited them at Jack's old shop during the transition.

I browse gun builder/suppliers and try a different one each time. Tip is next.

CS

Hey Paco97, (and all)
I just got done "repairing" a gun from TVM for a friend of mine. The wood work (AKA inleting was fine) but the lock was plain unsatisfactory! The rifle would actualy fire only on every third pull of the trigger which resulted in a rounding of the sear and tumbler interface. The sear engagement was quite a bit "long" and the sear spring very heavy. One of the bridle screws was actually dragging on the backside of the cock and slowing the ignition time. The mainspring was very heavy as well as the frizzen spring "rock eater: and for the most part I would say the lock was assembled "as cast" and not refined in any manner. I suggested to my friend that he ask for a refund and return the lock and buy a suitable replacement from a reputable lock finisher such as Chambers.
For a custom firearm at great expense and a year wait I would not invest in this makers arms.

Charcloth.

CHARCLOTH, was that from TVM Avance, or TVM Garner? I was going to keep quiet on this, but since you brought it up. I also just finished an attempt to redo a lock assembled by Garner. I have already had experience with his work many times, and what you describe fits his MO. You notice I said "attempt", This one was beyond help. Nothing was finished, the screws were drilled and tapped in on angles, and slightly out of place. The side of the frizzen was never ground even with the bolster and had plowed a trench in the barrel, and was not opening right, who'd a thought? All screws had to be left loose or the lock would not function at all. I ground the frizzen even with the bolster, and told the guy he would have to live with the rest, or replace the lock. PACO, I have NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE GUNS FROM AVANCE, so I cannot comment on his, but I would warn you to stay clear of Garners work. That is my opinion, based on thirty years of part time gunsmithing, you do what you think best.

The gun that I bought from Garner was actually made by Brian Turner. Also, someone mentioned Tip Curtis. I don't have any of his guns, but I've looked them over several times at Friendship, and I really liked what I saw......

Back