• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Virginia Range trip #4

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my TVM Virginia out again this afternoon and spent time on the 25 yard line at the bench to see if I could get things dialed in a little better. I brought some thicker ticking, measured at .022, to give a try. I was using 3f for the main charge. Figured I'd only change the patch thickness for this trip. I still haven't done anything to the sights yet.

Target 1, shots 1&2 were just above the bull, the next three were to the right and the last two hit next to shots 1&2.

Target 2, my first shot on the second target hit dead center of the bull. Only if they were all like that :wink: .

Target 3, I hit a little low on the first shot, so rather than aim for the bull I went for the group.

So, hopefully these will only get better with practice and the rifle gets more rounds through it. I think I've put somewhere around 60-70 rounds through it. My goal would be to do this on the 50 yard line :).

Patience grasshopper. Your getting there so enjoy the journey. I have had my Mike Brooks 40 cal since feb of this yr an have put probably 400 rounds or a tad more through it just trying different loads an combos an can now say she is ready for some squirrel busting :hatsoff:

I had a 6 0'clock hold on the bulls eye on the first two targets.

It was difficult to see the front sight. I was in the shade and it wasn't reflecting light very well. When the light hits it right that thin brass front sight works just fine for me especially against a dark background.

It'll settle down a bit over time, not so much from the rifle itself settling in (thiugh that will happen some too) but your getting used to it, figuring out what it wants, and settling into a consistent routine.

My .58 TVM Early Virginia prefers heavyish charges, I use a 0.570 ball, a 0.020 patch with 120gr goex 2f or 100gr swiss 2f, and a .020 patch of cotton duck from Joanne's.

0.570 hornady, 120gr goex 2f, 0.020 duck patch cut at muzzle, 50 yds

My 58 EV shooting a 562 RB likes 120gr ffg,with a 20ga wad over powder and a .022 patch.It took about 200 shots for her to settle in though

I don't know who makes TVM's barrels, but my shooting buddy has one he bought second hand, and it is a real shooter.

Mine has a Rice Barrel with square bottom rifling. The other option was a Colerain Barrel with round bottom rifling.

Back