• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Virginia Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirglip

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm contemplating ordering an early Virginia from TVM. I know this subject has been discussed here with regards to authenticity but I won't dwell on that.
I plan on an upgraded maple stock, Chambers colonial Virginia lock, 42 inch Rice swamped barrel in .40 caliber, hunter star on cheek piece, silver initial medallion on top of wrist behind lock, no patch box and the rest as Matt builds it.
I'm not in to strict authenticity and I'm not much schooled in these era rifles so I'm asking those of you much more knowledgeable than I. Other than the caliber, am I committing any major sin in outfitting rifle as stated above with regards to mismatched components..?
As an aside I have an early Pennsylvania from Matt in iron and am much satisfied with his work.
Thanks all in advance for your response
Regards

Define, "sin."

The way I see it, people have been making muzzleloaders in North America since the 18th century at least. Of course they are going to change over time, but one made today is still part of an unbroken lineage going back to the colonies.

it sounds like you know that if you want a true clone of an original or one that would be perfectly in place at that time, the TVM ain't it. But if you want a good, quality flintlock that meets your needs and gives you joy to own and shoot, and that has some characteristics from then, I'd call it good.

Define, "sin."

The way I see it, people have been making muzzleloaders in North America since the 18th century at least. Of course they are going to change over time, but one made today is still part of an unbroken lineage going back to the colonies.

it sounds like you know that if you want a true clone of an original or one that would be perfectly in place at that time, the TVM ain't it. But if you want a good, quality flintlock that meets your needs and gives you joy to own and shoot, and that has some characteristics from then, I'd call it good.
tnlonghunter
Good thoughts. Someday I may splurge for the real deal but I think this will do me fine for now.

Being a fan of the early Virginia styling, I own one of Matt’Virginia rifles, my first, as well as a more authentic representation by Jack Hubbard. I’m no expert, but I don’t see any “sin” in your choice, and think you will enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

Being a fan of the early Virginia styling, I own one of Matt’Virginia rifles, my first, as well as a more authentic representation by Jack Hubbard. I’m no expert, but I don’t see any “sin” in your choice, and think you will enjoy yours as much as I have mine!
Thanks Art. I was just hoping to avoid any major faux pas in component selection. If Matt builds this one as well as my last, I'm sure it will be enjoyed

I had TVM Va. rifle for years but eventually had to sell it. It was the best offhand rifle I ever owned. I used it to take one of the two deer I killed at 100+ yards. As far as not being "authentic" the only thing "not authentic" was that it didn't copy any specific antique rifle. I'm sure you will enjoy yours at least as much as I enjoyed mine.

I had TVM Va. rifle for years but eventually had to sell it. It was the best offhand rifle I ever owned. I used it to take one of the two deer I killed at 100+ yards. As far as not being "authentic" the only thing "not authentic" was that it didn't copy any specific antique rifle. I'm sure you will enjoy yours at least as much as I enjoyed mine.
Thanks Hanshi. Glad to hear.

I would compare the weight of the 42" .40 barrel to other bore diameters. Maybe consider changing the length if you have to have .40. I would want a perfectly balanced rifle.
That's a good thought. It would be swamped but you think might still be too heavy..? I am going with .40 cuz I have a .45 and .54 and squirrels are only legal in .40 where I live altho there are exceptions.

I don't have a TVM, but I do have a swamped 42 inch Rice Barrel in .40. It is just ever so slight muzzle heavy. All in all I think it balances very well.

Buy what you want and like and be at peace. Don’t worry about pleasing others, everyone’s taste is personal. So what if your gun is not perfect or historically accurate? It’s not like you are going to pass it off as such.
I can only speak to my personal experience with TVM. I have a TVM Iron Pennsylvania and it is not the most refined, sleekest, sexiest gun around, but it looks good and shoots very well. I absolutely love it. Give them a call, they are easy to work with.

Generally speaking, I enjoy authenticity, but I like functionality more. That being said, brass certainly has its advantages. Make it yours

Back