• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Turner Kirkland rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, I'm at a loss with this rifle I've worked on this lock several times, polished all the internals, replace the frizzen roller, and other things, and just can't get this lock to function properly.
So my thoughts are leaning toward sending it off to someone more knowledgeable for a rebuild or a replacement.
I've already talked to Dixie gun works and they just laughed when I asked for parts. They told me the gun was made in 1956 and there are no parts currently available and haven't been in years.

Those locks weren't the best quality. You could try the Log Cabin Shop, they do good work on locks.

Those locks weren't the best quality. You could try the Log Cabin Shop, they do good work on locks.
I've considered them and cabin creek. I've run out of patience with this lock I'd really like to keep the rifle it shoots well when it works which isn't often.
Here are a few pics as requested I don't think it will help solve the issues though.
IMGP1241.JPG
IMGP1242.JPG

Doesn't look like anything in my parts bin.... I think you need a new lock. I would get a print copy of Track's catalog, it has full size pictures of locks that you could compare. Chambers also sells a "gunmakers lock" where the lockplate is a bar of metal that you can shape to match an inlet.

Of the things you mentioned, the only one it doesn't do is stick on half cock.
sometimes the cock doesn't hit hard enough to spark others the frizzen sticks when hit.
The bridle seems to be seated incorrectly with a bigger gap on one side even when tightened down.....do I need to go on? ;)

Doesn't look like anything in my parts bin.... I think you need a new lock. I would get a print copy of Track's catalog, it has full size pictures of locks that you could compare. Chambers also sells a "gunmakers lock" where the lockplate is a bar of metal that you can shape to match an inlet.
Yep, I talk to the log cabin shop today and I'll be sending it to them for evaluation.
If it's not salvageable I'll get the gun maker's lock and cut the lock plate to fit.
I've only got about 350 in the gun and it shoots very well when it works so a new lock wouldn't put the rifle out of my price range.

Back