• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey wing call how to

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I read the thread on turkey wing calls and I would love to make one before the spring season here in Georgia. Unfortunatly for me I have no idea where to start. I would be much obliged to one of you fine gentelmen if you would be so kind as to do a tutorial on making and usin such a call.

:hatsoff: :thumbsup: :bow:

Lorren 68, Sir when I get my bone I would be happy to do one. If you google making a wing bone turkey call you will find a few good tutorial on it. Would like to know where Fairmount is located. I spend sometime in Cairo and Grady County back in the 70's

I have an article from a magazine if that will help.But youtube would probably have something.

Well I have made bunch of them,You use the two bones from the turkey's shoulder to the elbow joint. I cut the ends off, use a wire and water to rinse out the marrow in center of bones. One bone will be smaller then the other one. The bigger end of the small one will fit in the smaller end of the bigger one. You can glue or wrap with sinew. I usually let them dry for a while before I put together. The small hen turkey is supposedly the best. To use, small end in mouth,draw in to make a clucking sound. Hope this helps. Have made them at Rendezvous with my pocket knife and a small stick. After they cooked a turkey . Dilly

I was wrong on the bones, the ones I use are A@B on the picture. Be elbow to next joint. Dilly

Here's one made in the most basic way. Two parts, sealed together with beeswax, the joint wrapped with deer sinew.

wingcallC.jpg

wingcallD.jpg

Spence

When I made mine, I used needle files to clean out the insides and fit the ends together, and used cotton wool mixed with a bit of Elmer's glue to seal the ends. No wrapping required. I also discovered that using the humerus from the opposite wing fit the ulna better and made a pleasing double curve, like a powderhorn - though since I was using bones from a domestic turkey that may not be true of wild turkey wingbones.

over the years the only real difference I have found between wild n domestic bird bones is that the wild bones are much thicker and sturdier. Takeing a guess I would surmise its because the wild ones actually get used for flight. The domesticated bones are much thinner walled n ya have to be a little more careful with them while out n about to keep from cracking or chipping them but other then that , the sounds they produce are identical. The biggest difference I've found has been the circumference of the end of the smallest bone, the one ya stick in yer mouth to make the actual sound through, the small the hole the higher the pitch, the bigger the hole the deeper the pitch. While I was makeing them there was a tone range that was the sweet spot to me, after putting them all together I'd cluck n file a bit on the end a little at a time until the tone was where I liked it. Then just rounded the edges so it was comfortable on the lip when useing-just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Birdman said:
The domesticated bones are much thinner walled n ya have to be a little more careful with them while out n about to keep from cracking or chipping them but other then that , the sounds they produce are identical. The biggest difference I've found has been the circumference of the end of the smallest bone, the one ya stick in yer mouth to make the actual sound through, the small the hole the higher the pitch, the bigger the hole the deeper the pitch. While I was makeing them there was a tone range that was the sweet spot to me, after putting them all together I'd cluck n file a bit on the end a little at a time until the tone was where I liked it. Then just rounded the edges so it was comfortable on the lip when useing-just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Thanks Birdman, that is nice to know. I haven't had the opportunity to compare domestic and wild bones, so I wasn't entirely sure that the one I made from the Thanksgiving turkey was truely functional. It sounds like it is.

EL the other thing I've learned is don't be to hard on yerself getting the exact perfect sound from the call. The worst turkey cal I ever heard actually came from an old Tom one year down in WV. Be consistent if ya can n let yer gut tell ya when to call n when not to. There is a learning curve to it but that will come with experience n time. Normally I use the wing bone call as a locator call, putt good n loud a few times n listen for a response, if nothing try again, if still nothing I'll mosey real quiet about 20 or 25 yards n stand still for a few. Sometimes old toms will come towards ya without calling. If nothinghappens after 10 minutes or so I'll give a few more putts. n start it all again. If nothing happens after ya cover 1/4 mile or so, I'll usually move on to a new place. The bone calls are pretty loud. so if they ain't heard ya by they they ain't there haha

Fairmount is located in Gordon county about 20 miles noert of Cartersville, or 14 miles east of Calhoun.

Latest posts

Back