• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spring Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice way to start the year out. Congratulations on your turkey. I to have a hard time using a wing bone call. I bet boring out the barrel really lightened up the gun.
It did lighten it up. I need to put it on a scale. I love the wing bone call. I have been playing on one for four years now. I can putt and yelp on it really well but i have not quite figured out how to purr or gobble on it yet.

DID THE SAME TO MY 50 CALIBER CVA CONVERSION FROM PERCUSSION TO 20 GAUGE FLINTLOCK. MUCH MORE VERSATILE WITH GREAT SHOT PATTERNING AND SHARP RB ACCURACY AT 60 YARDS. WELL DONE FELLOW PIONEER.
Thanks. I really love all the tinkering that making up new loads allows and wing bones get me in my old soul. I wont pull out another turkey call till almost the end of the season if the wing bone doesn't do the trick. It doesn't always.

This story starts last year when I acquired a TC tree hawk with a pitted barrel. After picking everyone's brain on here about what rebore size I should get done for round ball I decided to go another route and got it bored smooth instead. Do to it's short size I thought it would make a great little grouse and turkey gun. I got it bored out to 24 gauge/.58 caliber.
I took this turkey with a load of 62 grains of FF, 4 cheeze-it box 5/8 round cards, 1 oz of # 6 shot, and 1 more 5/8 card. I called the Tom into 18 yards using a wing bone call. The Tom had an 7 inch beard and spurs worn down to a 1/2 inch.
I would like to thank everyone here for their shared knowledge that helped bring this project and this bird to my table. Last nights breaded cubed Turkey was delicious. For those of you who hunt with smooth bores it was a challenging hunt trying to get that bird within the safe range of that load and rifle. Patience, patience, and patience is the learned lesson here.
You have done well grasshopper!

Latest posts

Back