• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roundball2319

40 Cal
Reaction score
This story starts last year when I acquired a TC tree hawk with a pitted barrel. After picking everyone's brain on here about what rebore size I should get done for round ball I decided to go another route and got it bored smooth instead. Do to it's short size I thought it would make a great little grouse and turkey gun. I got it bored out to 24 gauge/.58 caliber.
I took this turkey with a load of 62 grains of FF, 4 cheeze-it box 5/8 round cards, 1 oz of # 6 shot, and 1 more 5/8 card. I called the Tom into 18 yards using a wing bone call. The Tom had an 7 inch beard and spurs worn down to a 1/2 inch.
I would like to thank everyone here for their shared knowledge that helped bring this project and this bird to my table. Last nights breaded cubed Turkey was delicious. For those of you who hunt with smooth bores it was a challenging hunt trying to get that bird within the safe range of that load and rifle. Patience, patience, and patience is the learned lesson here.

Attachments

• 20220410_082631.jpg
    20220410_082631.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 63
Nice! Good work. We have a lot of turkeys around us and I have seen lots of big boys this year. If it wasn't for the houses everywhere it would be some good hunting.

New goal before next season is to practice putts on the wing bone call without using any hands. I had a heck of a time bringing him the last 10 yards with it while holding the muzzleloader on him. I balanced the call kinda on the stock while trying to hold and make the call with my lips. I thought I sounded terrible but it worked out this time. I definitely need to practice on that technique.
Any wing bone callers in here want to sound in on tips, types of calls possible with a wing bone, calling techniques, somewhere I could watch or listen to it being used?

plenty of tips on making and how to use wing bones on u tube. I have been making calls since 1991. I never cared for wing bone . so much easier to put /purr on slate calls. Just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing! I love how you stressed the element of patience - that's the #1 quality that all good hunters have.

Darren
Coming from turkey hunting with an unmentionable with double the range using the smooth bore is a big change. I also find that staying hidden is much more important because both the turkey and I can see the whites of each other's eyes so to speak at 20 or less yards. A side plus is the kick is not as bad! 😁😂

New goal before next season is to practice putts on the wing bone call without using any hands. I had a heck of a time bringing him the last 10 yards with it while holding the muzzleloader on him. I balanced the call kinda on the stock while trying to hold and make the call with my lips. I thought I sounded terrible but it worked out this time. I definitely need to practice on that technique.
Any wing bone callers in here want to sound in on tips, types of calls possible with a wing bone, calling techniques, somewhere I could watch or listen to it being used?

FWIW, sometimes I tape a small box call (the lanyard pull type) under the barrel in a way that I can pull the lanyard (make the call "yelp") while I have the gun up and ready.
On your smoothbore, you would have to tape it too a ramrod holder.

A nice way to start the year out. Congratulations on your turkey. I to have a hard time using a wing bone call. I bet boring out the barrel really lightened up the gun.

Back