• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey/ham shoot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeblower

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am the one picked to arrange a turkey/ham shoot for our local volunteer fire department. I agreed to handle the shotgun-muzzle loader rules and oversee the results. Here is what I have done to address the in-line shooters that will expect to shoot in the primitive competition.
I divided and renamed the "primitive competition" it is now the "Muzzle loader competition". One "primitive' the other "modern".

primitive rules
Real Black powder only Goex, Swiss or other real black powder

Matchlock, flintlock, side lock percussion

Wood stock or traditional guns only.

no modern sabot projectiles

no scopes

In-line competition rules,

in-line ignation systems only

wood or synthetic stocks

sabot- or choice of projectile-modern or round ball

Black powder or Pyrodex, 777, pelletized or other synthetic black powder substitute.

No scopes

Following the end each compitation we plan to have a "heads-up" mixed challenge between modern and traditional divisions. The rules are simple. Donate ten dollars each to boast, say, brag , that you are the best. Inspect, look at or ignore each others gun and agree to compete. No one wins the money, it all will go to the fire station.

Please, please, PLEASE, help me address any unforseen problems that may arise. We had over 200 attend last year and expect a larger attendance this fall. We had no real problems last year, but the average shooter brought their in-line and expected to compete in the traditional division. We had asked that no scopes be used and some dropped out. This year is a challenge because most shooters will bring their center fire, shotguns and muzzleloaders They will pay to compete in all open divisions. We want everyone to leave happy and return next year.

Well it sounds cool.you think you could post the results of the side lock verses in line?And I guess you could have all the milatarey musket shooters fix bayonets .That may take care of any problems befor they start.

So the poor schlub that can only afford the CVA Bobcat or Mountain Stalker is SOL for this shoot. It is your shoot and looks fine to me though - I just wanted to point out that your rules may exclude someone.

Good point, in a case like that I guess if they were using black powder they would be placed in the traditional. Pyrodex would place them in modern? I could drop the wood stock clause. I did not think of this situation.

thanks

happy to help! In reading my post, it was worded a bit poorly, sorry about that. Clearly you understood my point. I think that including all shooters is the right thing to do. Your solution sounds like a reasonable solution to me!

I would say stick to your guns and lay out the matches as you see fit...

Your never going to please everyone.. :blue:

Back