• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Calls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Contender

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Spring turkey season getting close. What turkey call do you use?. I purchased the "freak" to try this year. Practicing every day, driving the wife nuts, so two times the fun. ::

same ol' cedar box call I been usin'. I know....kinda boring but it works and more imortant than that even an idiot like me can make it work!!

Vic

Doc, I decided to make some out of the wingbones like I have seen around here and there.....usually done by glueing the last two sections of the turkey's wingbone together(near the tip of it) after hollowing the crud out of the inside of them. Not the best sound device I expect, but it DOES work. I managed to call one within range of my .60 smooth fowler and give him "what fer". It was quite a pleasure to call one to me with a homeade wingbone call and collect it with a flint gun.
Of course he might have just been curious as to what sort of creature was making such a weird racket...and may have just had a heart attack from laughing at my attempts, but either way it made me feel good!

While hunting in GA this past season, a fellow showed me a call that I thought was really cool. It was a small turtle shell with a piece of slate mounted in the belly section. Had a very good sound and easy to use. I have a piece of slate and am looking for a shell to make one. I don't turkey hunt, but I have been able to slip up as close as 35 yrds from deer by duck walking and clucking a turkey call even with no cover.

Have had great success with the Super Yelper calls (www.superyelper.com). They have both friction and push-pin types. The push-pin is simplicity itself (just right for the likes of me). Check them out.

Back