• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tulle By R.J. Woodall

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have obtained a beautifully made Tulle smoothbore by R.J. Woodall. Does anyone know of him? It was probably made in the late 70's or 80's. It has a LH Siler lock. It has beautiful tiger striped maple, wood carving, and some engraving. It has French Marine type (rings mounted on the side of gun). Excellent condition and beautiful work. I obtained it in Seattle. One rumor was that Woodall was from the midwest or east. Thx, M

He was from PA.
Was featured in one of the “ Book of Buckskinning “ editions years ago, and was considered to be someone who made high-quality French Fusil de Chase and the French Marine version with steel ramrods.
I used to have one of his guns. Very good quality. Decided to order a second one after selling the one I had before. After two or three phone conversations with him he said he could get me one a little quicker if I prepaid him the $700 the gun would cost.
I sent him the money within a couple of days. Waited and waited several weeks. No gun. Called him 2 or 3 times. Was told it would be forthcoming in a few more days. Next to last conversation we had he said he came into the shop one day and his lead builder was smoking pot, and Ray fired him on the spot. This made his other guys mad ( don’t know how many he had ), and they all quit.
To make a long story a little shorter he quit answering the phone, and I found out later he declared bankruptcy,
Of course I did not get a gun or any money back. A couple of years later I heard he had a job as a tour guide on some old timey railroad and mining tourist attraction.
I am pretty sure he passed away several years ago.

Years later a guy named Paul Siebert started making the exact same gun, and of good quality.
I have one of those.

Thanks so much for the info RJ Woodall. Sad....it sounds like the slings and arrows of life
overwhelmed him. He did do great work according to the Tulle I found. I will be posting pictures of
it as soon as I can figure out how to post them. I haven't decided if I am going to put it up for sell but I have been thinking about it. I have several smoothbores I am happy with. The Tulle is one of my favorite styles, but I have a few other items I am more interested in......

He was from PA.
Was featured in one of the “ Book of Buckskinning “ editions years ago, and was considered to be someone who made high-quality French Fusil de Chase and the French Marine version with steel ramrods.
I used to have one of his guns. Very good quality. Decided to order a second one after selling the one I had before. After two or three phone conversations with him he said he could get me one a little quicker if I prepaid him the $700 the gun would cost.
I sent him the money within a couple of days. Waited and waited several weeks. No gun. Called him 2 or 3 times. Was told it would be forthcoming in a few more days. Next to last conversation we had he said he came into the shop one day and his lead builder was smoking pot, and Ray fired him on the spot. This made his other guys mad ( don’t know how many he had ), and they all quit.
To make a long story a little shorter he quit answering the phone, and I found out later he declared bankruptcy,
Of course I did not get a gun or any money back. A couple of years later I heard he had a job as a tour guide on some old timey railroad and mining tourist attraction.
I am pretty sure he passed away several years ago.

Years later a guy named Paul Siebert started making the exact same gun, and of good quality.
I have one of those.
Do you recall the year you were trying to buy a Tulle from Woodall? I would like to know as it would help me determine the time frame he might have built the one I have. Im guessing late 70's or 80's but.....?? Thanks, Mike

Do you recall the year you were trying to buy a Tulle from Woodall? I would like to know as it would help me determine the time frame he might have built the one I have. Im guessing late 70's or 80's but.....?? Thanks, Mike
Early nineties. He had been making the Tulle’s for a few years before that.

Back