• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Truoil/Armorall - Anybody tried this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1942farmall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I saw an older post on a differant forum over the weekend.
Looks like it was 10+ years old.
Seems a guy accidentally applied original blend Armorall and Truoil to a stock he was refinishing. Not sure how that happens but...
Apparently it vastly speeds up drying time and allows numerous coats in a day and he reports being able to finish a stock in a day or so.
Anybody been down this rabbit hole?
I'm intrigued.

Try it on scrap wood first. The MSDS for Armorall are not descriptive. They admit to mineral oil. You do not want mineral oil in a varnish. I suspect that there are also plasticizers and probably silicone oil. You do not want those in varnish either.

I suspect someone is pulling your leg.

My experience with Armorall is that it has caused my dash to crack on a couple of older vehicles. I consider it to be useless junk.

Stock finishing is easy. Prep the wood well. Use a quality product as the manufacturer explains in the instructions. There are no magic shortcuts or products.

There is a huge thread about this exact subject on an unmentionable board dedicated to unmentionable rimfires. Google that stuff. I read about the process and followed the thread for awhile. When it peaked my interest. Never tried it but from what I read it works well. YMMV

Yes, I've tried it, and YES, it really does work. I'm no chemist but somehow the Armorall speeds up the drying time of the Tr-Oil. I had an old single shot unmentionable that I finally found a brand new walnut stock for. I tried this combo to finish that stock and put 17 coats of Tru-Oil on the stock in one day (one lonnnnnnnng day)! There was no checkering on that stock so I left the wood a little "rough", finishing with 220 paper instead of 320. This allowed a little "traction" for me to hang on to it. The finish was great, just as the gentleman on the rimfire forum said it would be. One small spritz of A-A on the stock, rub it in then a drop or two of T-O and REALLY rub it in. Move on to the next area and repeat. He cautions to do only a small area at a time, about the size of your palm. It worked pretty good for me. If you don't like the shine of the T-O, cut it back with some pummice or rottenstone.

Back