• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

True Grit...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad1043

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw it today. I thought it was excellent. You have to go in not thinking it is the John Wayne film. I thought they did a great job... There was a black powder moment..

Chad

Saw it yesterday, a quite enjoyable movie. Excellent casting, script, acting, and costumes. Sure there were minor quibbles but the best movie I've seen recently. Heck, I only go to the theater about once a year; usually about this time. Now I intend to read the book.

As a side note, my shootin' buddy saw the movie in another theater and watched the original version on one of the cable stations last night. He noted that many of the lines were the same.

I can recommend it, especially if you get the senior matinee discount price. G

I just got back from seeing it an loved it, had watched the original earlier this week also, a lot of the lines were just the same but there were some differences in script that I really enjoyed, I really liked the girl in this one better than the original, she plays quit a character, an you got to love Rooster, no he ain't John Wayne but he did a great job.
Chris

Kicking the indian boys was not very PC, but the whole theater got a chuckle out of it as well as me. I enjoyed the film a lot. The girl did a great job too. It was a lot closer to the original film than I expected. This is the first film I've seen in a theater in well over a year. There just hasn't been anything worth a manure lately. But this was well worth it to me.

I think if they were little white boys he would have kicked them too... I think the point of the scene was they were up to no good and Rooster didn't put up with it.

I saw this with my wife over the weekend. We both loved the movie. I liked it especially because of the Sharps. When we got home from the movie, I brought out my Sharps and asked my wife if she recognized it. She said "You have a Sharps. I didn't know you have a Sharps. When did you get that?" I know I told her I was getting it........maybe. I think she just forgot.

Started watching it today. Got 15 minutes into it when the projector broke :cursing: . Going to try again day after to morrow. Liked what little I did see though.

Saw it today with a buddy.....we both, reluctently, thought the same thing.....it was much better than the original John Wayne version....man that was hard to write...but it is a great movie.

Good story, good acting, teriffic scenery.

Only a couple of personal notes....I hated Damon's hat....and when Rooster takes Matty on Little Blacky, they ride right through where Ned Pepper & Co. ingested cogburn lead....well, There's Ned Pepper's big ol' buckskin horse just a standing there.....I think Rooster wouldv'e taken him along too! :wink:

But, it's a good movie worth seeing.

Ive seen it twice already. Once for the first showing and last night with my wife. I thought it was a excellent movie. Kim Darby and Glen Campbell always annoyed me with the original, but theyll never beat the scene of John Wayne riding into the meadow spin cocking his Winchester. I think Bridges deserves the best actor oscar for his portrayal of Cogburn. Wouldnt that be something? Wayne winning his Oscar for playing Cogburn and Bridges winning best actor. It was closer to the book but some things were changed (like the dugout ambush scene) Now John Wayne was excellent, but John Wayne only played one character in his whole career and that was John Wayne but not once in this new one did I think of Jeff Bridges when I saw his portrayal of Cogburn.

At least they didn't film a movie that was set in eastern Okla in Colorado like the John Wayne version. Every location in the movie is historical or actual. I was told it was filmed in Texas. Nothing wrong with that except it still doesn't look like western Arkansas or eastern Oklahoma. Don't mean this to be negative criticism. I am just glad they made a high quality western film.

but not once in this new one did I think of Jeff Bridges when I saw his portrayal of Cogburn.

If you don't have a personality it is hard to find one.

"I was told it was filmed in Texas."

The film was shot in Santa, New Mexico, if that really matters.
No one can play a John Wayne role. They will be forever compared to one of the greatest western actors of all time. It is a good movie, although, it is too short.
The thing that may make it better, however, is not having Kim Darby and Glenn Campbell in it.
Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross is fantastic Whoever plays Glenn Campbell would be better.
It is a good movie at least compared to what Hollywood tends to make now-a-days.

I actually enjoyed Jeff Bridges more in this role. Like was said in above post, John Wayne plays John Wayne. I thought Damon was decent, but hardly had much of a chance to shine in this movie. I too thought it could have been longer.

I saw it today with my family. I have to admit I enjoyed it better than the original. Like was said earlier, John Wayne played John Wayne no matter what movie he was in. But that was part of his greatness. Jeff Bridges played a heavy drinking old fart who did things his way and still got the job done. He played a role, not his personality nor an attempt to equal or excell Wayne. He played Rooster Cogburn the way I would imagine Rooster Cogburn. The girl playing Mattie did an exceptional job. We may be hearing more from her. Matt Damon did a fair job. I would have liked to have seen more of Barry Pepper. Sure was a different role for him than the sniper in Saving Private Ryan. And I don't want to overlook the rest of the supporting cast. They all did great. And the whole theater laughed loud when Rooster kicked those boys off the porch. They needed it. I kinda wondered myself why he didn't take Ned's horse as well when he took Mattie to Bagby's.

Other than the ending it was a really good movie. I'd watch it again. :thumbsup:

Saw it tonight. Liked it quite a bit. Onliest quibbles: Rooster seems to fire seven times at the corn dodgers, but mebbe he drew his other sixgun; other quibble is that Ned Pepper fires his sixgun to signal Rooster while holding it right next to his ear ...
That Mattie was outstanding. Oscar talk for her. Jeff Bridges, too.

Back