• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger sear position

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatcreek

40 Cal
Reaction score
Would like to know where to position the trigger blade in relation to the sear. I like a fairly light trigger and don't mind creep. I have a late ketland Chambers lock. The picture shows where I think it should be.
trigger.jpg

Check out the information on this topic in Peter Alexander’s The Gunsmith of Grenville County. He explains and illustrates the sear/trigger relationship very well. I, unfortunately, do not have my copy of his book with me, so maybe someone who does can photo the page(s) and provide them for you.

Yes, check a good resource before proceeding. Single triggers, like yours, were pinned through the stock... and higher up. The trigger plate served to accept the tang bolt, and to stabilize the trigger from side to side. With what you're doing, it's going to be harder to get a nice pull.

Yes, check a good resource before proceeding. Single triggers, like yours, were pinned through the stock... and higher up. The trigger plate served to accept the tang bolt, and to stabilize the trigger from side to side. With what you're doing, it's going to be harder to get a nice pull.

The other gun I built I did it as you described and got a light trigger with some creep which I kind of like. This one I was going for a heavier trigger with a little less creep. The other is a 40 cal for target and this id a 50 cal for deer.

I guess I don't understand what has been said. My last single trigger was approx. where you show. More of the length of pull, but less pounds of pull. I love it. The further back the less pull length, but the more ft. pounds of pull to shoot.

For a light trigger pull you want The trigger bar to touch the sear about 1/4" to 3/8" from the hinge point This will also give slightly more travel on the trigger. The further you go from the hinge point the heavier the trigger pull but less travel of the trigger

Typically a trigger blade pinned (pivot) as high as one can (admit, your's is fixed) and back from the pivot gves you the most levarge for a light, crisp pull.

View attachment 307466
Would like to know where to position the trigger blade in relation to the sear. I like a fairly light trigger and don't mind creep. I have a late ketland Chambers lock. The picture shows where I think it should be.View attachment 307372
Your sear location is probably good, however the trigger pivot should be in the top corner of the trigger flag. Above the existing hole. And the trigger pivot pin is drilled through the stock from the lock cavity side, through the corner of the trigger. then with the trigger held forward the lock is carefully lowered into place with a dot of inletting black on the end of the sear arm. Remove the lock and trigger, and file the trigger flag to a L shape to barely clear the sear arm.

PS remove existing pin.

This should help.
Thanks Frosty, but that ship has sailed. Thank you to everyone else who lent a hand. I positioned about like my first picture. It works and we will see how well once I get it cleaned up. Think it will be fine, if not there are some changes I can make, as per everyone's suggestions.
Thanks

Last edited:
Ok got the trigger in and working. It's light and crisp, maybe a little lighter and crisper than I intended, but I'd rather it that way than heavy with a lot of creep. It's very crisp and i think that's because of the angle I filed the flag. I angled it up and away from the pin, had I angled it the opposite way I think I would of had more creep.The sear hits in the original spot. The blue line is how filed the flag. Won't know how I like it till I get shooting it, hopefully I got lucky.
trigger.jpg

Latest posts

Back