• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traveling with a flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weavedreamer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for traveling with a flintlock?
I’m going on a diy axis buck hunt on Maui and it will be my first time hunting anywhere outside Washington. Would it be cheaper to be shipped or bring it as checked luggage? Already know that I’m going to be shipping my powder there ahead of time. I’m trying to bring my Pedersoli frontier which is 54 3/4 inches overall.

I’m going on a diy axis buck hunt on Maui and it will be my first time hunting anywhere outside Washington. Would it be cheaper to be shipped or bring it as checked luggage? Already know that I’m going to be shipping my powder there ahead of time. I’m trying to bring my Pedersoli frontier which is 54 3/4 inches overall.
It’s quite easy to travel with a flintlock, just need the correct travel case. Traveling with the necessary blackpowder, not so easy. No US commercial airline that I am aware of will allow it on board due to some pesky federal law regarding explosives. BIG CLUE for successful flintlock hunt….. Make sure your blackpowder is delivered to your end destination prior to your arrival, and confirm actual arrival/delivery with an actual photograph of the container that includes a current local newspaper or similar. Had an African flintlock safari derailed when the confirmation photograph I received as I was about to board my flight was of a blackpowder substitute. I was left with just enough time to pack a centerfire rifle.

Good luck on your hunt, I've eaten Axis deer, it's wonderful.

If you can check it as luggage that IMO would be best. Kinda all depends on how much checked luggage you will have. If you are bringing meat home, how do you plan on doing that?

Take a look at your airlines checked luggage rules.

I recently flew with a bag that was 98 lbs. Cost $240.

First class flights at times are cheaper than coach depending on bags. First class you get 2 checked bags for free and up to 75 lbs per bag.

On one hunting trip I had checked my backpack, rifle case and one box of meat. If I would of checked a 4th bag (box of meat) it would of have been an extra $400 just for that one 50 lb box of meat.

Good luck

Fleener

Hawaii? I don’t know if you can even send real black powder there! My friend was in the navy there, and he said it was a hassle to bring his modern shotgun there. I would expect the same with a muzzleloading rifle. Let us know how it turns out.

If you plan on bringing meat home check your states game regs on that. With more CWD around many states have tightened their restrictions on bringing game meat in.

if i were going to take a muzzle loader on a plane to anywhere, i would disassemble, vacuum pack each part, then get a case that the parts fit into, and use expanding spray foam to encase the whole thing.
i flew commercial 4 times a month for 15 years. because i am a horror flic fan, i would sit where i could watch the tarmac apes handle the baggage. just like the old American Tourister commercial.
best of luck to you.

Back