• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the ignore function on this forum. A lot of these people that are what Charlie Murphy (RIP) used to call Habitual Line Crossers, those that make statements that cross the line from friendly conversations to trying a persons patience , are just getting ignored.

I would much rather buy all top notch gear but sometimes ive got to be practical and buy that which i can afford. And guess what, sometimes cheap guns can still be satisfying to own.
My caddy is getting old and rusty but i am more than satisfied with it.
The most accurate muzzleloader I have ever owned was of Spanish origin and used, it cost me $100 back in the 70s. 2 piece stock in 45 caliber. I let the elite snobs talk me into getting rid of it. Wish I still had it today. It would shoot 2" groups at 100 yards all day long.

Not what I would call attitude, but have personally found many Traditions guns to lack in quality components that leads to long term durability. For example, soft wear components that typically with other manufacturers would be hardened/heat treated, giving long term durability and wear resistance. That said, Traditions’ manufacturing processes seem to result in components that are satisfactory in the short term. Comes down to you get what you pay for. For a few hundred shots they are great, though at some point down the road, not so great. Personally, own a few. Perfect example is their soft brass trigger. Most high quality trigger manufacturers use hardened steel to avoid premature wear and failure, or at least steel instead of brass. If one is happy with a few hundred shots, or possibly a thousand or so before things go south, Traditions guns might be perfect. At least in my opinion.

At first it did come off as attitude, but this explination showed that your response was more thought out, if not verbose.

I find the trigger on my Traditions Deer Hunter to be very soft. Not brass, but use is wearing it out. Since it's a one piece thing, I may go over to the gunsmith thread and see if someone can coach me on replacing it.

I really love the "pull the barrel out to clean it" bit, and when I shot with the locals I won the Flintlock 25 yard standing. Which is a compliment to the gun, since I can't shoot for nuthin'.

Good grief . Here we go again. The OP asks for opinions on traditions guns. I said I wouldn't own one.
(Why would I when I can build anything I want)
Then everyone goes all butt hurt because I don't want a Traditions rifle. What the hell is up with that? I can like or dislike anything I want to just like the rest of you.
Now I have a stalker that just won't leave me alone. I have had stalkers before. Pretty creepy people.
Are you people TRYING to drive me away from here? If so. Just let me know and you can find someone else to get your panties all in a bunch.
A very good point was made here. If I could build anything I wanted then I wouldn’t own production guns or guns from a custom builder either. However, I do good to sharpen a pencil, so I have to buy guns.

Like was said in the movie “I’m with you fellers”. 😄

At first it did come off as attitude, but this explination showed that your response was more thought out, if not verbose.

I find the trigger on my Traditions Deer Hunter to be very soft. Not brass, but use is wearing it out. Since it's a one piece thing, I may go over to the gunsmith thread and see if someone can coach me on replacing it.

I really love the "pull the barrel out to clean it" bit, and when I shot with the locals I won the Flintlock 25 yard standing. Which is a compliment to the gun, since I can't shoot for nuthin'.
The trigger on your Deerhunter is made of zamak. This is a zinc based alloy. The trigger comes apart very easy with a 1/16" pin punch. Deer Creek, The Gun Works Emporium, The Log Cabin Shop and/or Traditions likely has a drop in replacement that will be inexpensive to buy.

The trigger on your Deerhunter is made of zamak. This is a zinc based alloy. The trigger comes apart very easy with a 1/16" pin punch. Deer Creek, The Gun Works Emporium, The Log Cabin Shop and/or Traditions likely has a drop in replacement that will be inexpensive to buy.
Wait! Isn't that what started all this? LOL. Buy what ya want with what ya got and carry on. Great thread. Moderator likley having a meeting today LOL

Thanks! I keep forgetting that I can probably buy most things I need. There is a value in learning to do it myself, but the time required is immense, since I'm a slow learner...

Hey u :)

View attachment 237124

My two Traditiions guns. A Crockett rifle and pistol! Love them! Some aren’t fans but I think they’re a good BANG for the buck. Love them!!

Anyone else like Traditions?

Both of those are good, durable guns and you wont find me "dissing" them. I still mourn my Crockett that left me.
PICT0658.jpg

The most accurate muzzleloader I have ever owned was of Spanish origin and used, it cost me $100 back in the 70s. 2 piece stock in 45 caliber. I let the elite snobs talk me into getting rid of it. Wish I still had it today. It would shoot 2" groups at 100 yards all day long.
Traditions, formerly CVA, are Spanish.
Very good barrels, the rest not so much.
The Kentucky Rifle has two piece stock with snazzy brass spacer which looks to me like a Pachmayer White Line buttpad on a Perazzi.
That kit was my first ML. It looked bad but shot great.
I wore out the brass trigger, made a new one, bought an RPL lock for it and eventually restocked it with real wood (curly maple) and all new furniture.
Butt plate and barrel were only original parts. Sold it for an obscene amount.
Now I build flintlocks and sell them for a LOT - grossing pert near .50c an hour!
I’m a couple decades behind the Evil One, but I’ve been an acerbic curmudgeon for a Long time! ;)

Traditions, formerly CVA, are Spanish.
Very good barrels, the rest not so much.
The Kentucky Rifle has two piece stock with snazzy brass spacer which looks to me like a Pachmayer White Line buttpad on a Perazzi.
That kit was my first ML. It looked bad but shot great.
I wore out the brass trigger, made a new one, bought an RPL lock for it and eventually restocked it with real wood (curly maple) and all new furniture.
Butt plate and barrel were only original parts. Sold it for an obscene amount.
Now I build flintlocks and sell them for a LOT - grossing pert near .50c an hour!
I’m a couple decades behind the Evil One, but I’ve been an acerbic curmudgeon for a Long time! ;)
Careful talking bad about CVA/Traditions. Some real sensitive types here.

Back