• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper pistol accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I would like to try a single shot pistol (percussion or flint). The T/C Patriot, long discontinued, had a good reputation but is very expensive these days. The Traditions Trapper pistol has a similar configuration and is affordable but I can't find much on their quality and accuracy. Is anyone on the forum familiar with the Trapper: handling/accuracy/etc?

I'll be getting a completed pistol. Due to unexpected surgery, I won't be able to get to the range for months and it will be longer before I can wield tools for more than a few minutes. Besides, if I like this type of shooting, it would be fun to try a better quality kit (a la Jim Chambers) when I'm up to it.

I would appreciate any opinions or experiences.

Regards, Jeff

Read this post....[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/217155/[/url]

I like mine, it shoots well, tighten the sight screw and etch a reference mark when you get it zero'd in!
I also have a traditions "Wm Parker", for the added money, Its a heck of a gun. I feel these will shoot right along side of the pedersoli guns if the guy behind the grip does his part!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a trapper and could not be happier..it will shoot with the patriot...the funny thing is that my trapper is deadly with 2f powder and bit 3f, Its preference is also .015 wonder lube patches and .490 balls. It has been quite suprising to say the least.

I also installed a 10-22 rear sight which was filed to fit the narrower dovetail on the trapper. I opened up the rear sight a little and put a new blade front sight because the factory sights were not the best. its a good pistol. In our muzzleloading club half of the guys shoot patriots and the other half shoot the trappers. I have shot both and you cant beat the traditions trapper.

Jeff,

I have had my Trapper since right after Christmas. Several folks in our BP group have them and everyone seems happy with them.

There should be a tread on this subject on this forum (Which Pistol to Buy?) that ran on about December 28 or so. The general opinion of that tread was that the Trapper is an alright pistol.

My Trapper has shot very well out of the box and I am having a great time with it. I would recommend a Trapper to a friend based upon my personal experience. Good luck with your search for a pistol and with your health. Regards.

Kevin

I have a Trapper and a Patriot both. I shoot them side by side often, so I can give a few of my impressions. The Trapper doesn't seem to fit my hand as well and it doesn't have the natural pointability that the Patriot does. On the positive side, the heavy barrel makes it a very stable shooter.

The Trapper trigger can be adjusted to be very good indeed. In fact, the Patriot would need a full on trigger job to have as sweet of trigger. If you get the Trapper, be sure to Locktite your trigger adjustment screws though. I had one work loose during firing and cause an unintended discharge.

As for accuracy, I generally shoot a bit better with the Trapper than the Patriot, even though the Patriot has far better sights. I think if I had as good of sights on the Trapper, the Patriot wouldn't have a chance. They can really shoot! I would not hesitate to recommend the Trapper pistol. I think it's one of the few good values on the market right now

personally, I like the set trigger on the Trapper. If the Lyman had that option, I'd own one in a heartbeat.

In all fairness, I haven't put nearly as many miles on the Plains pistol as I have the Trapper and Patriot. I like the Plains pistol a lot and it's a good solid shooter, built with Lyman's typical high quality. I don't seem to shoot as well with it though. I'm not sure if it's the single trigger, the gun itself, or just me.

I think the Plains pistol would probably make the better hunting gun and it's definately a lot more PC than the Trapper or Patriot.

Back