• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yazel pistols appropriate for Forum?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just asking regarding a question I've wondered about for some time. Are the Yazel pistols appropriate for discussion on this forum? I know they are much favored by the line shooters at Friendship, for whom historical accuracy is not a consideration, as accurate competition guns. However, they are much more in the "modern gun" camp than anything remotely traditional, as are inlines. In fact, the percussion Yazels ARE inlines as far as I am aware. Even the flinters with a side mounted lock have more in common with a modern day service pistol. Actually, we have one of each for sale on the forum at this time. Just would like to know if these guns have been given tacit approval to evade forum rules due to being popular competition guns? Perhaps the moderators could address this.

Good question for the mods. I once had a post deleted because it showed an otherwise conventional flintlock pistol that had a left-hand lock installed on the right side. Visualize the hammer/cock with the flint falling backwards. It wasn't 'authentic' or some such silly reason.

To my way of thinking, it's a pretty easy question to answer. What it looks like, does matter.

There are some Yazel pistols that fit the forums idea of what is traditional so, if they look like the pistols that were used in 1866 or earlier, they are allowed.

There are many Yazel pistols that look like a cross between a traditional sidelock or underhammer gun and a modern Colt 1911 or a High Standard Trophy target pistol.
They are not allowed.

Pistols that look like modern semi-automatics did not exist before 1866 and adding an old fashioned percussion or flintlock to one that does look like that, doesn't change that fact that it is in no way traditional.

Back