• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions nipple problem...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!
I recently purchased a Traditions St. Louis Hawken kit rifle that was assembled in 2010. It looked to be unfired. I wanted to get some treso nipples to replace the steel nipple on it and purchased some 6x1 metric nipples as Tradition's web site recommends, but these do not fit. The threads seem to line up, but the diameter is too big on the new nipples, compared to the old nipple. Did Tradition's use a smaller diameter nipple back then?

My guess is the nipples were packaged incorrectly

Verify that the nipples are indeed 6x1 then verify the nipple hole thread diameter...

This can be easily done by purchasing the proper thread size nut and bolts at your local hardware store.. Take the nipple with you.

This seems like a good oportunity to weigh in with a related point.
Lots of guys here occasionally (or frequently) buy a used gun; they don't appear to be loaded...sometimes they are. The nipple appears to be good...sometimes they aren't.
The last T/C Hawken I bought appeared to have the right nipple installed; luckily I checked it before taking it for a test drive; the nipple was of the wrong thread and just spun in place.
I'm glad I didn't fire that gun as I found it.
Now if I can just remember to remember whatever it is that I'm supposed to remember....

Latest posts

Back