• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Hawken .50 on consignment at local gun shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See if they will negotiate the price. Do you know how long it has been for sale in the store ? You might mention in your own way about freeing up shelf space for other items that might move faster.

First, ask to handle the rifle. CHECK THE BARREL to see if it’s loaded. Have a small flashlight with you too. Check the cup under the hammer face to see if it has been fired and if the hammer hits the percussion cap squarely. With permission, check the triggers to make sure they operate properly. Move around the rifle like it was your own…

Ask the store to call the owner to see if he would be willing to lower the price. Have two offers ready. Make your first bid slightly below what you are willing to pay. Think about $ 245.00 or $ 250.00. If the owner accepts, that’s good. The shop owner will still get a fee for the sale, plus freed up shelf space. If the owner doesn’t accept, ask if they have a counter offer. Always have cash…. If you are willing to pay $ 275.00 or $ 280.00, consider that as your counter offer. If that isn’t accepted, leave your name and number for both owner and storekeeper, in case they change their mind. Then walk away.

I was in a gun shop a few summers ago. There was a large collection of pristine, never fired, complete with the boxes and paperwork, Second Generation Colt revolvers being sold on consignment. I spotted two that I was interested in. I took my time and asked a few questions. The shop owner told me the prices were firm. I asked if he would lower the price for a multi gun purchase. He said he might be willing to consider, but would have to call the gun owner before accepting any offer. I told him I would wait for the phone call. He walked away and then stopped. Turning back to me he asked what my offer was. I gave him a figure for two revolvers. He looked a little unhappy and said he would call, but doubted the owner would accept.

He called the owner’s house. The wife answered the phone…. He told her about the offer. I could hear her say over the phone to “sell them”. He asked what he should put on the sales receipt, she said to put her name on the receipt as giving approval for the sale. The co-owner of the shop asked was said on the phone. Then he just nodded and said “ok, put that on the receipt”.

I walked out paying $ 15.00 each, over the original sale price for the revolvers. :cool:

Back