• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using 3Fg to prime may help, if dampness is an issue. There are many posts here concerning the affinity that 4F seems to have for moisture.

Ah, another good tip. I have not heard that one.

Thanks! Steve

SeattleSteve: Me thinks somebody at Traditions need a few lessons on building a flintlock rifle. Touch holes in a good flintlock are NOT aligned with the bottom of the pan. If this is Traditions stance then some one else with a Traditions having the touch hole above the bottom of the pan needs to send them a picture of their "incorrect Traditions" gun. From the discussion going on here by folks owning Traditions flinters I would surmise that there is a QC problem in addition to a lack of knowledge about building proper flinter.

Another method to correct slow ignition with the touch hole liner such as yours is to remove the factory installed liner with the concave opening on the outside and install one with the concave surface on the inside. This would raise the vent hole slightly without having to do a major modification.

Mine has the straight blade scrwedriver type liner with the hole in the bottom of the slot. They need to be coned deep enough on the outside to at least get thru the slot area. My vent is deep in the pan, but there is enough meat there I think to lower the bottom of the pan a little to make it a non-issue. The gun goes off well as it came. If I do ever mess with it, I will lower the pan bottom, cone the outside thru the screwdriver slot area, and cone the inside slightly. The liner is pretty small so there is very little room to cone the inside at all. A bigger problem with it is losing your prime powder as you slip if you are not very careful to hold the gun just right. I have not taken the time to investigate that problem yet. I bought my gun on clearance for 50$ There were two and I bought both. I sold the other for 80$ to a friend. I have 20$ and tax in the gun and it shoots very well indeed for the price!

Back