• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions 3 band Enfield kit build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely hate polishing cast brass parts! You did a great job.
Thanks! That is a manure job to be sure.
I'm now pretty much ready for the "final" assembly. Not in a big rush and will probably let the stock have another day or so before I really get after it. No point in hurrying, I still haven't received the Minie rounds I ordered nearly 2 weeks ago. Have powder and caps, just nothing to send down range. And the car is still in the shop getting the hood and front end fixed after some moron decided to back their lifted hoopdee into it. Hopefully get that this week too. Probably look a little strange driving out to the field with a rifle strapped to the back of the Guzzi... I am in the People's Republic of CA.

I do plan on casting my own once I discover what works best.
And yeah, we can melt lead! I know there is a lot of hype about the "nut and berry" folks in CA, but if you don't live on, the coast, it would surprise you how reasonable the rest of the state really is.

I guess I need to get out more. I didn't realize the "Browning" was an option. Frankly, not sure if I like it on this gun. I've seen YouTube videos on how to do it, but they were all flintlocks and octagonal barrels.

The Pedersoli Whitworth rifle has a browned barrel. However, having grown used to seeing Parker-Hale barrels finished in 'best blue' since 1974, I know which I prefer.

1625584828254.png

Bluing, of course, was not an option back in the old days we are trying to replicate. Except maybe peacock or fire-bluing on screwheads and the like. Mr Person is undoubtedly the man to talk to here.

The Pedersoli Whitworth rifle has a browned barrel. However, having grown used to seeing Parker-Hale barrels finished in 'best blue' since 1974, I know which I prefer.

View attachment 83805

Bluing, of course, was not an option back in the old days we are trying to replicate. Except maybe peacock or fire-bluing on screwheads and the like. Mr Person is undoubtedly the man to talk to here.
According to C.H. Roads who authored "The British Soldier's Firearm, 1850-1864", the 1853 Enfield rifle barrel is of a browned finish [page 71]. This browned finish would be called in today's parlance a rust blued finish.

Mike

In an effort to NOT finish the kit today, I cleaned the garage, waxed the floor, (I have social issues) went for a 22 mile bicycle ride, and vacuumed the house. (I'm retired, she's not)
That didn't work, so I cleaned the barrel and went ahead and assembled the rifle.
I took a bunch of pics but only one worth posting. Easier to take pictures of pieces rather than the whole project. I'll post more when my wife gets home to help steady things.
I'll finish up the "narrative" on the build from a novices perspective, as well as post additional pictures this evening. Anyway, she's complete down to popping three caps.
IMG_20210706_163226_3.jpg

Here is my narrative on the build from a novice's perspective, and it will be long:
I really didn't know what to expect when I decided I wanted to build a black powder rifle other than I wanted something represented during the Civil War.
I have a Pietta 1858 new Army revolver that I've had for 8-9 years that I enjoy shooting more than my "modern" pistols. I think it's because you have to work at it to shoot it. Rather than just loading up a magazine and pulling the trigger.
Anyway, since this was going to be my first rifle I thought I'd like a black powder, to follow along the same mentality I have with the Pietta.
I had no idea what a good kit is, or a bad one for that matter.
I do know that there are virtually no kits, or assembled reproduction Springfield's or Enfield's in 58 caliber to be had. Those are the only two I was interested in, and I wanted a kit.
Except Deer Creek. They had a Traditions 3 band Enfield kit. Ordered it, along with a Birchwood Casey Deluxe finishing kit. They shipped right away,
and as I said in the second post, it arrived unmolested.
If you have read the posts above you will have a pretty good idea of what went on and how I did things, so I won't rehash them here.
In summary I would call this an entry level kit. Most of the woodwork is generally done as much as you would expect. The barrel channel is for the most part done. There is some minor inletting needing to be done to get the lock in place, the mechanicals away from the wood, as well as the three shoulders for the barrel bands, fore end cap, butt plate, but anyone with any wood working experience should have no issues.
I had zero experience with bluing a barrel, using Tru Oil and what was needed for prep other than Birchwood Casey's instructions. In hindsight, I probably OVER prepped everything. I sanded the stock to 400 grit, used a straightedge to make sure I wasn't distorting the shape. Pretty much the same for the barrel, except the straight edge part. I took it to a 400 grit and then used 0000 steel wool. All of the brass work was done starting with various files, then progressively finer sand paper. Also to 400 grit paper, then 600 grit sponge pad and ultimately 0000 steel wool.
I followed the Birchwood Casey instructions for the Tru Oil, and the Bluing process. The stock has 4 coats of Tru Oil rubbed down with steel wool between each coat. Final coat has been rubbed down with 0000 steel wool then buffed with a terry cloth. I'll see in a week if I will wax the stock or use the stuff that came in the kit. The barrel and bands (once the casting lines were removed) were my biggest fear. In the end, totally unfounded. Only thing I will say is that I would not do the rust and bluing remover again on a new un treated barrel. It left mine tiger striped and splotchy, causing me to re sand and steel wool it then degrease again.
In the end what I think is needed with this, or any kit is patience. You can not get in a hurry. There isn't anything on my rifle that was "good enough" Patience is the key. And with patience as the key, preparation is the door. I KNOW I over prepared the stock, and the barrel for that matter. Nowhere did it say to finish anything to 400 grit. I took it upon myself. Yep, took marginally longer maybe, but peace of mind goes a long way.
I have 35-40 hours start to finish and not knowing what I didn't know, and I learned a lot!
It is not a historical representation, I am not a reenactor. I do think I am an enthusiast now. I enjoyed the build, I didn't have issues with the kit, and I know it makes the caps go "pop". Soon we'll see how well it shoots. My heart tells me it will be just fine!
IMG_20210706_163226_3.jpg
DSCN0431.JPG
DSCN0441.JPG
DSCN0432.JPG
DSCN0434.JPG
DSCN0445.JPG
DSCN0440.JPG

That, Sir, is a remarkable effort. I'd be VERY proud to shoulder that beautiful rifle and shoot it. Remember that the 'English cartridge' was loaded with 2 1/2 drams - 68.5gr - of 'fine rifle powder'. Today that's probably 2Fg. And a 535gr Minié bullet.

I'm sure we are ALL waiting to see how it goes - perhaps a Youtube movie?

That, Sir, is a remarkable effort. I'd be VERY proud to shoulder that beautiful rifle and shoot it. Remember that the 'English cartridge' was loaded with 2 1/2 drams - 68.5gr - of 'fine rifle powder'. Today that's probably 2Fg. And a 535gr Minié bullet.

I'm sure we are ALL waiting to see how it goes - perhaps a Youtube movie?
We'll see about a YouTube video...
I have .577 and .575 Minie' bullets coming. I wanted to try both sizes before ordering a mold and learning to cast my own. My thought was to learn how to "roll my own" paper cartridges at some point. But I want to see what it likes to shoot. .575 with a lubed paper wad loaded like the English, or .577 with the bullet lubed and loaded no paper.
To your point about powder load. I was thinking about starting off with a "light" load, something like 40gr for the first half dozen rounds. Sort of seat everything? Or just go ahead and shoot 60-65gr? ( that's what the chart comes in with what I have ordered)
I'm looking forward to casting my own bullets, making cartridges, and the other aspects of the sport.
I even think I need another kit! Something with a rock for ignition maybe?

If anyone is still lurking on this thread I FINALLY made it out today and shot the rifle. 45 rounds, starting at 25 yards the backing up to 50. I have lot of things to try out/sort out, but I'm pretty happy! No issues with the rifle at all. First shot to the last. I have another thread here: First black powder rifle, headed to the range. | The Muzzleloading Forum where I will be hunting help for what I'm sure will be a laundry list of questions.
IMG_20210717_154123.jpg

Latest posts

Back