• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditional vs the other M/L

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

270WSMANIC

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Why do we prefer traditional to the inlines. Here are some of my reasons, I’m an older feller and when I got into M/L there were no inlines. I like to shoot a lot and assuming PRB or home cast conicals I can shoot a lot without breaking the bank. Using rear peep set up as ghost ring I feel pretty confident up to 100yd when my T/C Hawken is shooting right , at the moment there issues with that but I save for another post. I once had a bad experience which caused me to switch to non traditional powder. First M/L hunt 25 or so years ago just got on the farm and saw a big doe on the hill above me shot at it and watched doe run away. Quickly reloaded 70gr ffg and maxi ball. Went to make sure I had missed. Got back in truck and drove to other side of farm. Started to walk up a hill and upon looking behind me I saw a beded deer on hill behind me in a ravine after stalking to 100yds I took a rest off a small tree and took the shot, deer rolled over and appeared to be dead so I didn’t bother reloading. As I stood watching the deer recovered and stood up but didn’t seam to realize what had happened. Now I needed to load fast I was partly screened by the tree I dumped the speed loader down barrel and tried ramming the m-ball down it stuck because of the powder fowling from last 2 shots the deer stood there looking around for the sound I was making trying to get the maxie down. I took many loud thumps of the ramrod but some how the deer failed to spot me my good luck changed as I slipped the cap on. The deer bolted and ran to the top of the bank, fortunately for me it stopped and looked back, bang flop, the first shot had grazed the spine. Obviously I hadn’t taken time to swab between shots because of the need to load fast. Thus my reason for going to something other than black powder for hunting. Now I use 777 for all hunting. One of my buddy’s uses scoped inline with maxi hunter bullet so he can also shoot fairly cheap but I have noticed I can shoot groups at least as tight as his at least to 100yds, using my sight set up. In open farm country shooting hill to hill the 200yd + of the inlines would be a great advantage when using the powerbelt or sabot set up but I still greatly prefer my side hammer and open sights. My sons insist on black powder only and for my younger son flintlock so there more old-fashioned then ole dad.

Of course you can do what you want, but I can shoot at least 15 shots with BP without swabbing. It won't be as accurate as swabbing, but for hunting it's not an issue. It will still keep the shots in the kill zone. For target shooting I swab every shot.

I do use a PRB though, and I think that keeps the bore cleaner than conicals.

First of all, a PRB is plenty for deer. You did not say what lube you were using, but back in the day when I first started shooting ML's, I thought a maxie or minie was essential. I had trouble loading the damn things and went back to good ole PRB's with real black powder. I tried the subs, don't like them. I have powder that is well over 30 years old and still shoots as good as the day it was purchased. Can't say that for the subs. I had to track only one deer I shot with a PRB. It was not a good shot placement, so that was totally my fault.

I will not even discuss the in-#*@$ fake plastic stock, modern scoped, sabot shooting things, some people call ML rifles.

interesting post. I my self love the old timers. yes I also use a sub powder do to hard to find the real around here. but thats me. yes I do have a (blank) but it collects dust in the safe. I shoot the side hammers so much I see no need to site it in or get it ready for hunting when I know what the hawken will do at differnt ranges out to 150 yards. plus with the market pushing the inlines so much any more with scopes closed breach and 209 primer I feel I mite as well use my mod. 88 win in 308 it shoots flater and farther! but thats me. I hope some one else will post on this neat to see other veiws.

It's neither here nor there to me whether anyone uses real black or subs. I use the subs myself in cappers when I can't get black or my supply gets low and I'm saving it for flinters. We live so far out the transportation chain that it WILL take an act of congress to get me reasonable access to black like most other folks on here. No big deal because the subs work in my cappers.

One thing I will say, all that banging and flopping with your rod and difficulty in loading was likely due to your lube or the need for a lubed wad between your maxi and the powder. You should be able to seat the maxi down against the maxi without banging on it. Crud shouldn't be building up enough to affect you on a single shot like that, and a little experimenting with lubes and felt wads should leave your fouling soft enough not to be an issue, especially with black. In my experience Pyrodex needs a good grease lube to keep the fouling soft, and wonderlube isn't it. I expect to get half a dozen shots with Pyro before needing to swab.

One final note- I reload immediately after the shot, even if the deer is down. That way if it gets back up I'm ready. If you wait till they get up before reloading, it's already too late even with a speed loader.

Haha, Knowing lots about inlines and nothing about traditional Ml's, i joined this forum last october, to KNOW THE DIFFERENCES between the two.

At first I was shocked about the little respect inline gets on here. Im suprised this tread is still active, must have been some great "wording" in the original poster, lol.

The thing is, they are not the same. Sure they load from the muzzle, use powder and so on, but they are simply not the same gun.

I went with a TC Renegade instead of a TC inline. why? because it was a beauty, more of a challenge, i can always get an inline later on, plus this baby was LH like its new owner, how could one pass.

Funny thing thou, Hunting a tree stand with my Renegade one day not long after, nice BIG Buck in front at me at 155yards. Point is - which Ml would i rather have had in that situation?? I do think my Renegade could have taken the shot if i knew it performances a lil better, but some would call that unethical. Just like some would say hunting with an inline is not hunting.

in the end,
I like my Renegade, its Feb. 14th after all.... I love my Renegade!

I liked the idea of stepping back in time and using the old technology and accepting its challenges and limitatons when compared to modern centerfires
and have pretty much not used modern guns since, at no time have I ever thought about how interesting it might be to take a mdl 700 and retool it to load from the front, there never seemed to be a point to this, it always seemed to me that one would want to shoot either a real ML or a modern gun not a combo of the two which does not meet the full expectations/capabilities of either.Loading from the front is only a part of the definition of a ML to most who are doing more than just taking advantage of additional Deer tags or larger bag limits, but it is the nature of mankind to slip through the backdoor, and find loopholes to justify some activity where possible, particularly when monetary gain is also a factor.Those who shot real MLs way back but accepted all the modernized accesories spend the door for the usage of the modern MLs I do not think many would use the new type guns if they had to use PRB or a bullet type from the past and primitive sights.

tg said:
it is the nature of mankind to slip through the backdoor, and find loopholes to justify some activity where possible,

'Bout sums it up I guess.

Everybody, please review rule number 2.
We do not discuss modern (in-line) muzzleloading firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back