• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Gun Decoration?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayBear

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone know of a site or sites where there are pictures of the brass-tack decorated Indian trade guns? I've got a couple of Plain Jane CVA's I want to dress up and need some ideas.

Thanks,

GrayBear

You can see a Leman Trade Rifle at this site.
[url] http://www.prospector-utah.com/leman.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
peacemakers-pg-014.jpg

peacemakers-pg-020-2.jpg

hawken-smithsonian.jpg

ndn-guns-002.jpg

ndn-guns-003.jpg

tacks-01.jpg

I've got moer but they are on later period guns..........

Sorry about using the wrong forum and thanks for moving my question instead of deleting it.

The replies were great! Just what I've been looking for. Thank you!

I also picked up the idea of making a sketch or a pattern before I start driving tacks!

:thumbsup:

GrayBear

Make sure you lay it out AND pre-drill pilot holes for the tack shanks. This will minimize any collateral damage caused by bending shanks. I pre-drill half or 2/3rd the depth of the shank lenght then drive them home.

Good tip, Black Hand. That should prevent cracks and splintering from inserting the tacks.

Speaking of tacks, is there any site with head sizes or designs or brass aging that will beat the all pretty much same-oh, same-oh upholstery tacks from the hardware and home improvement stores?

Thanks,

GrayBear

www.crazycrow.com has the steel shank, solid brass tacks in several sizes, two types - low dome and high dome, and in plain or aged brass.

For pre-1870 square shank solid brass tacks the only supplier that I know of is[url] www.thetrunkshoppe.com[/url] - not cheap but the real McCoy.

With steel shank tacks I not only pre-drill but blunt the sharp tip of the shank, which is an old cabinet makers trick to keep the wood from splitting. With the solid brass,square shank tacks you must defintely pre-drill as they are VERY soft.

Last edited by a moderator:
GrayBear said:
Anyone know of a site or sites where there are pictures of the brass-tack decorated Indian trade guns? I've got a couple of Plain Jane CVA's I want to dress up and need some ideas.

I once saw a CVA Kentucky rifle (with the 2 piece stock) that sommeone cut down, draw filed all marks from the barrel, removed the forend wood, reshaped the stock, wrapped the barrel and stock with rawhide, and added tacks. Then gave everything a nice, work-darkened patina. Was left with a really nice looking blanket gun! Just shows what a little ingenuity can do to an otherwise hum-drum off the shelf gun.

Here's one I didn't intend to put tacks in but the ramrod hole came through the forestock causing me to decide to wrap the patch with rawhids and add large and small tacks. Kind of broke my heart if you know what I mean.
NorthwestTradeGun.jpg

NorthwestTradeGun3.jpg

Back