• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOTW's Vincent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at this for a first build. Hoping to build a .36 with the 13/16" barrel shortened to 28 or 30 inches. I'd like to end up with something quite close to my .36 Seneca, which is a sweetheart.

I'd probably have the breech plug fitted and maybe the underlug. Since it's a first build, I'd probably stick with plain maple.

Has anyone built this kit? Did the finished rifle shoot and fit to your satisfaction? Are any other Track gunsmith services (fitting sights, barrel rib, pipes)recommended?

Track indicates this is a good choice for a first build; is this true? Are any changes from the Track parts kit recommended? Is the maple provided with Track's kits hard maple or soft? If soft, is it adequate for the purpose?

Track indicates the stock for this kit is largely pre-inletted. Is their inletting work accurate?

Are there alternatives to the Track kit that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance.

by way of disclaimer, i've never built their Vincent. my first build was a TotW Southern Mountain, which went well but was something of an eye- opener, inasmuch as i didn't really know what i was getting into, and it took a lot more work than i anticipated.

it is rumored that TotW uses stock made for them by Pecatonica. if this is the case, the inletting is dead on. mine was. Used a Pecatonica stock for another build, and they're great folks- easy to chat with, very helpful, and great value for the money.

if you don't already have some books, now is a good time to get some. i would recommend also the excellent videos/DVDs put out by Pioneer Video, as well as Peter Alexander's The Gunsmith of Grenville County (now out of print, but if you can find a used copy, it will save you a bunch of spoiled parts and wasted time).

to continue my rant, if you can't get a shave- ready edge on your chisels, figure out how before you even buy the kit. this isn't an option. this is a requirement. this is not a request. if you fail to get a razor sharp edge on all of your tools, the Maple Police will come to your house in the middle of the night and drag you away. your dog will run away, your girlfriend will leave you for another (better looking and richer) guy, your mother will go to jail, the bank will foreclose your mortgage, and the repo guy will find your pick- up truck and tow it away.

after all this happens, no amount of playing Country Western albums backwards will do any good,

:rotf:

so sharpen your tools properly and avoid all this bad stuff. use a hard leather strop and polishing compound.

after you accomplish this, you will produce a rifle of superior quality, you will have a great time doing so, and you will take this rifle out to the range of your choosing and

MAKE GOOD SMOKE!

(tongue in cheek) good luck with your first (of many) build(s).

I've done a lot of track kits, but not the vincent. I looked at the parts for that rifle, and have worked with most of them. They are quality, but you will have a lot of work ahead of you. First thing is to learn to inlet if you don't already possess the skill. Get the best chisels that you can find. The Solingen chisels that TOTW sells are good. Practice inletting on scrap before you try the stock. Also get some inletting black from them. Drilling holes for the ramrod thimbles gives me the most problems.

For the first build, I'd agree that you should get them to breech the barrel, and put in the dovetails for the underlugs and sights. A drill press is helpful, but the rest is best done with hand tools. I've done everything by hand, but their barrel work has been great. If you purchase a Rice barrel, it will be nearly finished. Colerains will be less so. Both will shoot well. My preference is to ditch the sights that come with the kit, and order California sights from The gunworks in oregon. They are much better.

Expect about 140 to 180 hours of time to complete a TOTW kit. You will have to purchase things like a special tap and a 90 degree countersink for the vent plug, and finishing materials like browing reagent and stain and tru oil. I like the book by Shumway and Alexander entitled Recreating the American Longrifle. This book is indispensable for me, as is this forum.

Good luck. I like flint much better than percussion. If you haven't tried the flinters, shoot one before purchasing a percussion lock. You may convert.

Lisle George

Howdy!

I am going to start on the TOTW Southern Mtn. flintlock as soon as the lock and stock arrive. I have all the other pieces. The barrel is a Colerain and I had TOTW do all the work (sights, lugs). I have James Turpin and Herschel House DVD's; just trying to soak up knowledge before doing anything.

The point about good sharp tools is well taken.

Also, a lot of the furniture on the Southern Mtn.is blackened. How is that achieved?

Thanks!!!!!!

James

The steel parts are first browned using a solution like Laurel Mountain Barrel Brown & Degreaser.
Time and humidity form the hard brown rust.
The loose red rust is rubbed off and then another coat of the solution is applied. Then more time and humidity.

It may take several coats to form a uniform browning.

At this stage you boil the browned parts in distilled water. After about 5-10 minutes the brown rust will turn into black rust, often called bluing.

I have completed 2 of tracks Vincent's and both are excellent shooters. The pre- inlet stock is good but expect final fit all the parts. I used a small very sharp chisel (4mm) for most all the inletting.

These were my first builds. I would say it is a good choice for a first build. The first took me about 100 hours and the second about 80 - maybe I worked slow! Just take your time and double check every thing!

Pouring the pewter nose cap was scary but after reading up on it this was one of the easier processes!

Both guns draw attention at the range and I have had some people ask how old they are.

Back