• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Time Builders, just an encouragement.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished October 1, .40 cal scratch build from a kit, from Tennessee Valley Manufacturing. Still working on best load, patch, and ball.
Shot about 4 times and loving it!
Plain maple stock, 38 inch A weight .40 cal Colerain barrel, L & R Lock, single trigger. Also, from Buck Co. rifle plans from TOTW… although it’s no where near a true “Buck’s Co”. I chose those plans because I liked the shape of the stock and needed something to go to for details.
The Lock and the Barrel turned out Fantastic! Could not be happier!…. The Stock….. welllll it sux. BUT! I knew that going in. That’s why I got the cheapest stock TVM had. In fact, I first made a stock out of 2x4s just to practice inletting the barrel.
Made a LOT of mistakes on this stock. And learned a lot! How to fix most of them with the limited tools an chisels that I had. I’m not a gifted wood worker… I’m mediocre at best. BUT, I had a BLAST (no pun intended) building this thing. And IT SHOOTS! Can’t wait to build another!

Thanks to all of you that helped. Could not have done it without you! Special thanks to Bill Raby and Mike Bellevue for there videos.

Now, I said all of that to say this… if I can encourage just one, to jump in and build a rifle! Your going to make mistakes. And when you do, and the anxiety sets in, getup and walk away… come to this forum for help. As you can probably tell, there are many gracious people on here that will help. Then go back to your build, get a clear picture in your head of what needs to be done, and apply it….what can I say but ITS FUN!

PS. The LMF Nut Brown colored the scrapes brownish red… but the stock is red…?.. still scratching my head on that….

Mule333

Attachments

• 69C17D2F-CDAB-400C-8E06-B8F1544B6A6F.jpeg
    69C17D2F-CDAB-400C-8E06-B8F1544B6A6F.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 156
  • E103F20F-7214-4E8C-BA70-05105F04D88A.jpeg
    E103F20F-7214-4E8C-BA70-05105F04D88A.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 97A3A20A-253C-488E-AA94-1B37DA534CE6.jpeg
    97A3A20A-253C-488E-AA94-1B37DA534CE6.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 130
  • C81CB86B-878D-43CD-9F02-C0A5CAFF7D8A.jpeg
    C81CB86B-878D-43CD-9F02-C0A5CAFF7D8A.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 127
Well done Mule and a handsome looking rifle you built. Your can-do positive attitude going into this project is a tribute to the fine outcome and a good lesson for those looking to do the same. I am so amazed at how you can take a plank of wood and sculpture a rifle stock out of it. Heck! I complain when I have to take tiny cuts out of my Kibler kit. More of a puzzle to you. Wonderful accomplishment and hope it shoots as well as it looks. Enjoy............Labrat

Made a LOT of mistakes on this stock. And learned a lot! How to fix most of them with the limited tools an chisels that I had. I’m not a gifted wood worker… I’m mediocre at best. BUT, I had a BLAST (no pun intended) building this thing. And IT SHOOTS! Can’t wait to build another!

You have the right attitude. The final product is NOT the finished rifle. It is all those hours that you enjoyed working on it. You had a great time building it and you love how it turned out. That matters a whole lot more than getting every little detail perfect. The first rifle is all about learning. Every other rifle that you build will turn out a little better each time. You probably have a whole list of tools that you wish you had for building this one. Start getting a few of them with every paycheck and you will start to slowly build up a good collection of tools.

When you start on the next one you will find that your wood working skills may not be quite so mediocre anymore. All the guys on here that are building amazing rifles started out exactly where you are right now.

The only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do anything. Your first build looks a whole lot better than my first build. Has anyone here ever built the perfect rifle with nothing on it that he wishes he had done a little different? I sure haven't. Keep up the good work.

You did GOOD. VERY GOOD!!! Mine got started, then stopped.
Just ran out of desire and the build spirit.
Found someone that wanted to take over from where I left off. Shipped it, got it back after about a month and a half later, well built!! Again, you did VERY GOOD. :cool: :cool:

it seems that once someone is convinced to make the jump and start cutting they turn out something most people like. the other problem is as the builder you will always see the flaws and mistakes even if nobody else can. but that is what the next project is for.

And WE always seem to "point out our own mistakes". No one would see it if it wasn't mentioned. Silence IS golden. ;) What's the term? From 50 feet on a fast horse?
I make quilts. I make mistakes but I always think of the Amish quilt makers. Nothing but First Class work. They will do a mistake on purpose, so I'am good. :)

Back