• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOTW Armstrong Maryland rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don1836

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience building TOTW's Armstrong Maryland rifle? Any suggestions before ordering? I'm considering buying the kit for this over a Lancaster kit.

Sorry I don't. But I am just starting on my T.O.W. southern mountain rifle.

What caliber are you getting?

It's a beautiful rifle, but some people don't like that much drop in the stock. I've built a Bedford rifle from TOW and the drop doesn't seem to be a problem for me at all. Armstrong is considered to be one of the better gunsmiths of his time and some of his rifles are considered to be among the very best. If you are planning on doing all of the relief carving and inlays like the originals, it would probably be a challenge for a first timer. If you are going to just do a basic rifle (which many would recommend), I think it would be a good first project.

Thanks Professor for the info. What do u think about trying the TOTW Dickert Lancaster as a first rifle? I'm looking at doing some relief caring but its not going to be too ornate. I'm practicing on some blank maple now.

Don-
take a look at the Isaac Haines rifle (ToTW cat. #16, p.118) i built something similar from a blank and had a great time doing it. if you're not up for making a stock from a blank (they are very labor intensive) you can go with a pre- cut. i am given to understand that ToTW gets most of their pre- cuts from Dick Greensides at Pecatonica. Dick's work is absolutely first rate, and he is very conservative in his wood grading, so if you buy a grade 2, you'll get something a good bit closer to grade 3.

if you have enough sense and patience to try carving on some bits of scrap, you no doubt have the ability to do a good job on whichever style you decide to do.

enjoy the first build, take careful notes, and post photos so we can see what you did!

good luck with your project!

msw

I have seen some beautiful Lancaster rifles with fairly simple relief carving. I think it would make a good first project.

In fact, I'm just starting on one right now.

Professor, I looked again at the Maryland rifle and now see your point in the drop and have to agree. I think I'll go back to ordering a Lancaster. Are u building from scratch or using a kit? If a kit, which one?

MSW, that's good info on the stock. I plan on ordering fancy maple (rather than extra fancy) because I want to stain with a more darker brown to give it that aged look. Do u have pics on your rifle? I'd like to see.

don1836 said:
Professor, I looked again at the Maryland rifle and now see your point in the drop and have to agree. I think I'll go back to ordering a Lancaster. Are u building from scratch or using a kit? If a kit, which one?

I've sent you a private message about it.

I'm building one of Pecatonica's Dickert kits now. Dick was great to work with on ordering the parts. And the stock has a lot of curl for a Grade 3.

I've always been more than pleased with Pecatonicas' #3 grade.
As others have mentioned, he seems to rate his Curly Maple grades on the low side, so what others would call "super duper" he just calls #3.

zonie :)

Just ordered an Early Lancaster 50 cal flinter from Dick at Pecatonica today. Grade 3 stock. Thanks for all the advise out there. He seems great to work with and I should get my kit after he finishes some inletting in a couple of weeks. This will be my first build so I'm pretty excited. The opinions I've read that he offers good curl for the money definitely played a part. Thanks guys for the responses.

Just got my Early Lancaster kit from Pecatonica River and man am I excited! Great piece of maple with excellent curl. I'm very impressed and can't wait to get started. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm glad I took the advise from the experts. Since this is my first rifle build, I'll be having alot of questions.
btw, thanks Davy for giving me the heads up on this forum. dios y tejas!

I have built one using the non inletted stock fro Track and a patchbox from Dixie. Made my own pipes etc. for more realism. I believe I spent $450 for all the parts. Straight octagon is correct for those guns, saves you a few bucks. I have also built a Silver Armstrong pistol and intend to build a matching rifle soon. If you are building a silver Armstrong hurry up and buy the silver it keeps going up and up. Have fun with the Lancaster.

Back