• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too small balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Lyman .36 caliber recolver that required a .380 ball for the proper fit into the cylinder. I actually hated that revolver as there wasn't enough room between the handle and the brass trigger guard. That revolver was a real knuckle buster. Sold it several years ago.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I had a Lyman .36 caliber recolver that required a .380 ball for the proper fit into the cylinder. I actually hated that revolver as there wasn't enough room between the handle and the brass trigger guard. That revolver was a real knuckle buster. Sold it several years ago.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Mine says “Lyman-middlefield conn” on the barrel...uh oh..😬😉

@Notchy Bob I might be wrong, but it looks like his calipers only measure to the hundredth.

That would mean his chambers could be .379 down to .376, assuming that the .375 ball measures .375.
You are absolutely right, and I appreciate your pointing that out.

I guess the bottom line is we are not getting accurate measurements. I saw in a later post the original poster’s .375” balls measured .360”, evidently using the same calipers. While it is possible for commercial balls to be mislabeled, or not true to size, this is just too big a discrepancy to take seriously.

It sounds as if the original poster plans to just get some .380” balls and run with them. I wish him the best of luck, and all success.

Notchy Bob

*EDITED*

Last edited:
Interesting twist, here. Thanks for pointing it out. I used to work in health care, which employs an entire vocabulary of abbreviations and acronyms, many of which look the same but have radically different meanings, depending on context. CP, for example, might mean cerebral palsy or it might mean chest pain.

I’ll edit my last post for clarity.

Notchy Bob

You are absolutely right, and I appreciate your pointing that out.

I guess the bottom line is we are not getting accurate measurements. I saw in a later post the OP’s .375” balls measured .360”, evidently using the same calipers. While it is possible for commercial balls to be mislabeled, or not true to size, this is just too big a discrepancy to take seriously.

It sounds as if the OP plans to just get some .380” balls and run with them. I wish him the best of luck, and all success.

Notchy Bob
Yes you are correct, I’m getting .380 and running with them. Meantime, I’m still looking for my good calipers. I appreciate the help and patience from all

Thanks for the advice and guidance. Since this is my first BP, I have much uncertainty and even trepidation so I appreciate the patience with which your advice is given. The measurements I’m getting from my wife’s hobby calipers are apparently useless, when I find my vernier calipers I’ll report back. Meantime, from what knowledge I’ve gained on this forum and elsewhere it seems fairly certain that my older ASP made 1851 requires .380, so this may be much ado about nuthin

Yes you are correct, I’m getting .380 and running with them. Meantime, I’m still looking for my good calipers. I appreciate the help and patience from all
I think you’ll do all right with those.
Thanks for the advice and guidance. Since this is my first BP, I have much uncertainty and even trepidation so I appreciate the patience with which your advice is given. The measurements I’m getting from my wife’s hobby calipers are apparently useless, when I find my vernier calipers I’ll report back. Meantime, from what knowledge I’ve gained on this forum and elsewhere it seems fairly certain that my older ASP made 1851 requires .380, so this may be much ado about nuthin
A good set of calipers that measure to the thousandth of an inch is almost essential for blackpowder shooters these days. I prefer dial calipers… no batteries required.

By all means, check back in with results of your loading and shooting.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I ordered .375 balls for my 1851 .36, which are too small as they drop right into the chambers. I assume I need .380, but is it really dangerous to shoot using them?
Maybe use a thin OP wad over a reduced load, and an over shot wad barely thick enough to hold the ball in the chamber? Accuracy probably won't be great, but they should shoot.

I guess the first question I would ask is where did you get the balls you're using from? Did they come new in the box or from somewhere else? Unless new and you know for sure then they should be suspect.
They’re hornady from muzzle-loaders.com. Basically this thread is you members watching a newbie’s process of taking the long way of learning his older toy takes less common balls, that’s all. Much ado about nuthin

All chambers read .37
Get a real dial caliper. Those 2 digit things are less than worthless in this field, or anything else for that matter.
You chambers could be anywhere from .370" to .379". RCBS used to sell a heavy grade plastic dial caliper accurate to .000". I still have one, but my good German made one stays in my shop. Check online for the RBCS.
While you're at it, measure the round balls also, again to the nearest thousand.

Back