• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too light a load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makattack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife got me one of those repro. flasks for a 1858 Remington. The spout on it says it dispenses 24 grns. is this too light a load? I've been shooting 30 grns. What is the mininum for a 1858?

I find best accuracy with 30 grs but have shot 20 grs. with good results. Just see what shoots the best in your gun. It will make a difference with what powder you use. If you use 777 then 24 grs would be close to 30 grs. of 3f.

I use 20 grains with the rest of the cylinder filled w/ cream of wheat & a felt wad as target loads. Have used 15 grs w/ good success, but 20 works for me. The max loads, enough powder to just set the ball even w/ face of cylinder (don't recall how much powder that takes) doesn't give me the accuracy I want in either of my '58s.

You assume right Flinch. Sorry about that, I forgot they made the Remmington in the baby cal. too. :rotf: Sorry just kidding.

24 grain should be fine - I use more - typically 35 grains. Whatever you use - you want that ball as high in the cylinder as possible. Use fillers, felt wads , cream of wheat etc. to compensate for what is not filled with powder.

My Rogers & Spencer replica scatters 'em like a shot gun with lite loads. With a medium load it begins to put 'em where they belong.

Mak,

I understand the concept of simplicity, but I would not set my load by what was available in a particular measure. I would experiment to find the ball size and powder charge that your gun likes and then make or purchase a measure to provide what is needed.

I do not believe that 24 grains is too light.

CS

Crackstock, I have already got the load figured out for a 30gr. charge of Pyrodex P. I was just asking if the 24gr. charge was too light so if I want to experament I would not mess something up. Thanks for your concern.

I wouldn't call 24 gr too light, but mine seem to like 30 gr. They apparently can be loaded to a very compressed 42 grain charge. (according to others)

Latest posts

Back