• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tony Hawkins Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kia Ora ( Hello),everyone. This rifle is an New Zealand made .45 Hawken made by a fella called Tony Hawkins. He unfortunately has passed now. He is a legendary person to me. This is the only commercial black powder rifle ever made in my country. They were made in the 1070 1980s .
Its .45 & has a 1:18 twist & comes with it's own mould.
It has a 32 " barrel .
It's a heavy gun but actually comes to the arm pretty nice.
I also am luck enough to have a gun made by Tony that was used by the NZ shooting team in the 1980s
It's a Gibbs style swamped barrel. 45 I'm not to sure on barel length 33" or 34" I'm on a break at work sendng this message.
I'll post it one day as that's a whole different story .
I Love this gun. It shoots sweetly and groups pretty nice.
Have a great day/ evening I guess on the other side of the world.
Kind regards Chris
( ata marie )

Attachments

• 20220115_130804.jpg
    20220115_130804.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 145
Kia Ora Crisco,
Unfortunately I am at mahi ( work) today & I live in the outer sounds 170 miles away so cant post pictures of mould.
Nothing to different really. Just a 3 grove heavy bullet with flat bottom. Loading same as regular riles powdeer & bullet & if you want to get more cosistant groping a patch between them.
No false muzzle or anything that flash.
Shes not pretty, but shes accurate as the person behind the trigger.
The Gibbs style Tony Hawkins ( I'll post that one up one day ) is something else when it comes to acuracy short or long range. Its beast of a rifle that 1👍

Kia Ora ( Hello),everyone. This rifle is an New Zealand made .45 Hawken made by a fella called Tony Hawkins. He unfortunately has passed now. He is a legendary person to me. This is the only commercial black powder rifle ever made in my country. They were made in the 1070 1980s .
Its .45 & has a 1:18 twist & comes with it's own mould.
It has a 32 " barrel .
It's a heavy gun but actually comes to the arm pretty nice.
I also am luck enough to have a gun made by Tony that was used by the NZ shooting team in the 1980s
It's a Gibbs style swamped barrel. 45 I'm not to sure on barel length 33" or 34" I'm on a break at work sendng this message.
I'll post it one day as that's a whole different story .
I Love this gun. It shoots sweetly and groups pretty nice.
Have a great day/ evening I guess on the other side of the world.
Kind regards Chris
( ata marie )
My English is terrible 😳 made in 1970s 1980s should read.

Remember standing in a shop in Vermont and the guy serving me couldn`t understand a thing I said so my mate from Vermont who was with me translated, think all I was after was a Coke. Mate also commented once ,I have known you over 10 years and sometimes I don`t have a clue what you are saying. If only he spoke English like the rest of us instead of American.
Tony Hawken's had a reputation for well made muzzleloaders, usually in fairly fast twist rates. Still see the odd one come up for sale here in NZ. They tend to look basic but have good locks and barrels.

Remember standing in a shop in Vermont and the guy serving me couldn`t understand a thing I said so my mate from Vermont who was with me translated, think all I was after was a Coke. Mate also commented once ,I have known you over 10 years and sometimes I don`t have a clue what you are saying. If only he spoke English like the rest of us instead of American.
Tony Hawken's had a reputation for well made muzzleloaders, usually in fairly fast twist rates. Still see the odd one come up for sale here in NZ. They tend to look basic but have good locks and barrels.
I was shooting at the Kopara Rondy last weekend, and there wer still two of Tony Hawkins rifles on the line. My one that is in .58 one in 70" twist ? and a fellow shooter had a .45" with one in Forty Twist. Both rifles shootimg patched Roundball. both rifles were still in the money in a lot of the events. they were generally great shooters. Much better than a lot of the rubbish we had to put up with in the 1970s.

I didn`t realise Kopara was still active, good to hear . Have never shot there but drove out once back in 1997 to buy some FF from a guy living there, after hunting on the coast. Do they still have the cannon pointing along the driveway at you as you enter?.

Just come in for my weeks shift. Thank you to all for your posts.
Wonderful to hear that Tony's legacy lives on here & oversees.
Heres a few more pictures of my .45 , its had a stock repair where a tang sights broken off in the past.
The stock is made from Totara a hard wood ,but after drying dosnt take kindly to drilling. Can split.
To all those Tony Hawkins owners out there . You have a fine iron made by a fine man.
Ata Marie everyone.
Kind regards Chris.

Attachments

• 20220422_193653.jpg
    20220422_193653.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220422_092859.jpg
    20220422_092859.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220422_091313.jpg
    20220422_091313.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220422_092053.jpg
    20220422_092053.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220422_092027.jpg
    20220422_092027.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220422_091431.jpg
    20220422_091431.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 49
I was shooting at the Kopara Rondy last weekend, and there wer still two of Tony Hawkins rifles on the line. My one that is in .58 one in 70" twist ? and a fellow shooter had a .45" with one in Forty Twist. Both rifles shootimg patched Roundball. both rifles were still in the money in a lot of the events. they were generally great shooters. Much better than a lot of the rubbish we had to put up with in the 1970s.
Morena ( morning) Euan, I don't supose you could send a picture of your rifle? I'd be really interested to see it.
Kind regards Chris
Nga mihi

Morena ( morning) Euan, I don't supose you could send a picture of your rifle? I'd be really interested to see it.
Kind regards Chris
From mihi

G'day Chris, I only have a couple of pics of this rifle on this lap top gadget thing. So hope it gives you an idea of what she is like. I need to get more photos.
Cheers Euan

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 36
Chris,

Thanks for showing and telling us about your rifle! The rifle pictured by @Euan in post #12 looks very similar in design, but appears to be .58 caliber!

Mr. Hawkins' rifles look plain but serviceable... My favorite kind of gun. I'm sure it is a lot of fun to shoot.

I visited New Zealand for about a month in 1985 and traveled from one end of the country to the other. It is an extraordinary place, and the people we met were universally helpful and hospitable.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Morena &Ata Marie Euan,
Thank you VERY MUCH for putting your Tony Hawkins up on picture. You did really well Matua 👍
Aw flooded me with pride to see it.realy enjoy hearing your storie about how well they were shooting ( & the shooters) let's not forget that point.
You know Ewan when Tony was making these he wernt alowd to make bigger than .45 for local NZ market. 😩
That was the gun law back then.
All the .58s & even some larger guns he made were all exported.
( well.... I do know that some bigger barrels were stamped. 45 & what do you know.... the bore is bigger???) Haha. But not many of those were made . More for folks Tony know well.
Theres a lot of. 45s here & .36s as a result of that .
The law changed to .50 but I've never come across a.50.
They l be out there anyone in NZ got 1?
Thanks again Euan. For putting the pictures up. Really appreciate your time and effort there.& good shooting matey.👍Ma te Wa.
(Al th best) Chris

Chris,

Thanks for showing and telling us about your rifle! The rifle pictured by @Euan in post #12 looks very similar in design, but appears to be .58 caliber!

Mr. Hawkins' rifles look plain but serviceable... My favorite kind of gun. I'm sure it is a lot of fun to shoot.

I visited New Zealand for about a month in 1985 and traveled from one end of the country to the other. It is an extraordinary place, and the people we met were universally helpful and hospitable.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Morena You are 100% correct. Euans gun is .58
Thanks for your message.
I'm glad you had a good time in my country.
I traveling when I was younger & equally had a wonderful time in the USA.
& met such lovely folks aswell.
Theres a lot of good people out there 👍
Have a awesome day Notcy Bob.

The strange part for me, is the rear sight. Looks just like a front sight. Seems like it would be hard to get a good sight picture.
Kia Ora Flint & stell.
The sights are iron. Tap sights.( if that's the right term?)
They work ok.
Front sight is pretty different than back sight. Being a V & front sight is a post & bead.
I'm back at Tuamarina today for mahi ( work) I could send you close pictures when I go back home if you wish?
Nga mihi Chris

I didn`t realise Kopara was still active, good to hear . Have never shot there but drove out once back in 1997 to buy some FF from a guy living there, after hunting on the coast. Do they still have the cannon pointing along the driveway at you as you enter?.

Tasbay, Yep cannon still there.

Latest posts

Back