• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tomahawks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I`ve seen pics being carryed both ways.It might be the job that a person had.A farmer might have used a sheath to carry it,where getting it out fast wasn`t a concern.Where-as a hunter/trapper might have it un-sheathed because of being in a more dangerous/life or death area.And had to get it out fast for protection.
I carryed mine in a belt sheath one time and didn`t care for it.The handle would bounce off my leg while I was walking.I tryed it in the sash/belt behind my back un-sheathed and it was alot more comfortable.I also found that it takes me more time to get it out of the sheath than out from my sash/belt behind my back.

thats exactly how i carry mine.i should say how i have cut my self,both times it was shooting a pistol match,i was shooting duelist style and reaching behind my back with my left hand,as you do. i cut a finger on my left hand ,very minor .

Let your persona and your commen sense be your guide. All the above comments show any comfortable or practicle way is correct. If in a combat or hostile enviorn, have it ready to rock. If in camp a sheath isnt a bad idea. It seems Mckenie was ok carrying, but Id bet the rangers had thiers cocked and locked.

Thanks for all of the comments. The original question had to do with how "they" carried the tomahawk back in the "days of yore" not how we carry one today. I guess there is not a lot of info on the subject. :idunno:

some more primary documentation:
Capt John Knox's journal mentions this about the Light Infantryman during the latter part of the F&I:

"...he has a rough case for his tomahawk with a button, and it hangs in a leathern sling down his side like a hanger, between his coat and waistcoat..."

oldmantom said:
Thanks for all of the comments. The original question had to do with how "they" carried the tomahawk back in the "days of yore" not how we carry one today. I guess there is not a lot of info on the subject. :idunno:
There is documentation for both carrying it unsheathed, in your belt, or carrying it in a sheath. How much documentation do you require for you to decide how you want to carry it?

oldmantom said:
Thanks! I do appreciate your comments and documentation. :thumbsup:
There's references to documentation, for both ways to carry, in the posts above. Either way would be historically correct, it's just a matter of picking the one that suites you. Good luck.

Working from memory, the Carl P. Russell book has a tomahawk sheath that was two sides of rawhide laced up with rawhide. Maximillian had a sheath similar to the Mackenzie and there is a painting of Davy Crockett with a small axe/tomahawk on a belt loop type holder. So holders are PC even if the more common method was just to stick it under a belt.

"...he has a rough case for his tomahawk with a button, and it hangs in a leathern sling down his side like a hanger, between his coat and waistcoat..."

Sounds like a thigh or leg holster ? If the case covers the business end it'd still work just as effectivly when blunt force is called for.

zampilot said:
If the case covers the business end it'd still work just as effectivly when blunt force is called for.

Good point Zam,,Where is it written that the sharp edge of the tomahawk was always used as the deadly section to cleve open a skull or other part?? :confused: Seem's to me they used a "War Club" for some time too.

When at Vous' running or participating in hawk toss comp, I've often thought that we'er teaching our buckskinner kids to defend themselves quite well,,Many items found in the house or shop could be weilded or "tossed" with enough accuracy too cause harm or at least daze an attacker :grin:

zampilot said:

Sounds like a thigh or leg holster ? If the case covers the business end it'd still work just as effectivly when blunt force is called for.

Not sure how you get a leg or thigh holster out of that description - the case covering the head has a button closure, that is attached to a sling - slings aka baldrics are worn over the shoulder and crosses over diagonally to the opposite side of the body. A hanger is a type of sword. The pic of the original I posted above would be a similar type, but without the button closure.
A similar method of carry was described as being used by some in the military pre-1800. See here for an example: http://www.jarnaginco.com/artwork/catalog/rev_war/Rev war soldier.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
zampilot said:
I was thinking business end down in a case/holster, handle up with some sort of easy detached binding holding the handle in place.
With the head down and the handle sticking up? That would be different. :idunno:

No TV here, just trying to think of what I'd prefer in those days. A body didnt have much time to think in the woods, if a body were unlucky.

zampilot said:
No TV here, just trying to think of what I'd prefer in those days. A body didnt have much time to think in the woods, if a body were unlucky.
I'm sure the people back then knew exactly what their situation was and we can see from drawings and the written word how they chose to carry their tomahawks. You appear to be suggesting that they "missed the point" and there was a better way. Anyone who's ever carried a hawk knows about balance and that a hawk shoved in your belt or sheath hangs comfortably. Trying to make the handle stick up in the air presents many problems that aren't worth describing.

Having said that, whatever works for you, is great. :v

I'm not suggesting anything Jack and people way back were not aware of their situation surroundings at all times, maybe the Natives were, but whitey certainly was not. :bow:

zampilot said:
I'm not suggesting anything Jack and people way back were not aware of their situation surroundings at all times, maybe the Natives were, but whitey certainly was not. :bow:
Wow. :shake:

Latest posts

Back