• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
If you were making a wooden target for throwing your tomahawk, what would be your choise of wood?

Does it require soft or hard wood?

hawk5.jpg

Something that is too soft will chop up sooner and go to pieces on ya. Too hard and you'll be frustrated when you get bounce off. I have used pine but it goes away quick, cottonwood works well but will rot if left out year round. Sycamore and river ash have worked well also. :results:
Willow works if you can find it. Just find something in the medium range. Always make sure that your tools are sharp, it will make sticking easier! :m2c:

Practice Practice Practice!!!!!

Bein lazy like I am,, I put this one together,, I drilled a hole in the bottom and top piece then hammer a 1/2 x 2 ' piece of rebar in the bottom and set the top log over the rebar with bout 9" of the rebar stickin into it, and aim at the top piece When I hit it,(it don't always work out that way) it will spin, and when it's time to replace, I just slid it off, put it by the fire place and install nother log on top
htarget.jpg

thank you sir

Law of average states that I got to do somethin right once in a while,,

Palmetto log. Remember the Battle of Fort Moultrie in 1776? Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island guarded the channel to Charleston and was constructed of palmetto logs. When Sir Peter Parker's fleet attempted to bombard it into submission, they were surprised when their cannon balls bounced off. I believe that palm wood is also used in dart boards as it springs back readily (the wood, not the dart).

If your city has palm trees, contact your Department of Public Works and find out if and when they're cutting one down. Then be there for your share.

BTW, I got my slab when some Mexicans were chainsawing down the palm tree outside the credit union. I asked them if I could have a slab and they said yes. Returning with my 4x4, they even loaded two slabs in for me. :RO: I emptied my wallet (about $8) and gave the contents to the surprised workers and told them in my broken Spanish it was beer money. Haven't set it up yet. :redface:

Oak, got so dog gone much of it. Been trying to convince my teen age son that a splittin maul is a tomahawk. :crackup:

When I'm driving along and see a tree cutting crew taking down a big oak, I ask them to slice me a 12" thick chunk of trunk thats in the 20 - 24" range. Been lucky so far, and have never been without.

If you find a loggin operation anywhere, you will find ends that stuck out a bit far and were cut off. Heavy, but the price is right.

When I lived in Louisiana I had a ready supply of hickory ends which worked well. I put one large one on one side and two smaller on the return side so that I only had to walk over and turn around to throw back the other way.

I watched for a wood cutting operation and found an oak end recently which is doing okay for now.

I just nailed a pair of 2X4 legs in a V on the back the then drilled through those into another cut at an angle and between them. This was toe nailed and a couple long nails secured that back leg through the others for a tripod stand.

CS

Back