• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk Handle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought one of Tracks tomahawks and was wondering how much of the handle should protrude above the axe head and how to secure the head to the handle. Do I put a wedge down the centre of the top of the handle or just epoxy it in?

Many thanks.

Id leave about a inch out the top give or take a little.I never pin or wage my heads on because I use them for so much from carving to skinning squirrels rabbits and even fish.good luck with your new hawk my friend.

Leave about an inch above the head there is no need to fix the head with a wedge or pin ,just tap it onto the handle from the small dia. end ,if it is a good fit it won't come loose unless you are throwing it and it hits on the piss, which it is meant to rather than breaking the handle . :thumbsup:

An inch is too much, closer to a 1/2" is good.

Those handles are cut pretty generic now-a-days and do require some fitting.
Use a small wood rasp to shape the upper 2-3"s to match the tapper of the hawk head and finish with sand paper. No wedge or glue is needed, it's a slip fit designed to be easily replaced in the wilderness by carving your own.
Leaving some of the handle above the hawk head is important because the wood will compress from the hammering use the hawk get's hitting a block or chopping.
Just a tip;
Resist the urge to stain the handle.
A dark handle quickly blends in with shadowed tall grass and brush and can be lost. The bright unfinished wood can be easier seen.

Kapow said:
Do I put a wedge down the centre of the top of the handle or just epoxy it in?
No wedge, no epoxy. The taper alone will do.

I support the head in a vise (not tight on the handle) and hammer the handle down until it's very tight, then trim the handle, leaving about a half to three quarters of an inch.

Hawk-Vise.jpg

Its a tapered fit so no need to wedge..I leave about 1/2"-3/4" over on mine..they will not come off..The best source for handles Ive found is dunlap woodcrafts.

Thanks to all who replied. Just got it because I always wanted one. Will give it some organ oil burnishing oil, should look good and maybe I'll kill some imaginary wooden enemies with it!

I found the easiest way to fit the handle, is to rub some graphite (pencil lead) inside the hawk head. Then tap the handle in and remove it. There will be marks on the handle that should be filed or scraped off. Repeat till the marks are even all around then use Claude's method to seat the handle.
Sort of like in-letting a barrel.

Back