• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawk Heads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All right all you hawk afficinados, I have made a few lower priced Hawk, and have a question. How do you guys keep the heads tight on the handle,????.
Do you just pound them back on till they are tight again, ???.

Thanks Dave

I run a hacksaw blade about 2" deep across the long dimension of the handle end, drive in a wedge. Head is held on tightly, never had one slip. There are also small metal wedges that usually come with a store-bought replacement handle that are used without making the cross-cut.

Most forged hawks have a slight variance in the shape of the eye. Tap it on, remove it and then cautiously file away a little of the wood around the area compressed by the head. You can usually tap it on and it will generally stay put. If you throw it or use it to chop big wood and the head comes loose, put the head back on and tap the top of the handle against a hard surface to reseat the head. Maybe put it in linseed oil once in a while to maintain the moisture in the wood. Wood dries out and shrinks unless you live in humid country.

The socket of the hawk has a slight taper to it, wider at the top, the handle likewise is tapered to match that socket for a snug fit. All the ones I make are for camp use but also for throwing. If you plan to throw it a snug fit is all you need, a bad hit on the target butt and the handle will slide out bleeding off energy that might otherwise break, crack, or damage it.
Robin

Back