• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To tack or not to tack, that is the question…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never! As far as I'm concerned tacks are a native American thing (only). Tacks added to a custom or semi-custom gun will detract from it's value.
If his Great Plains Rifle wants to self-identify as a Native American Rifle, who are we to get in the way.

It is 2023 after all.

Just be careful of mutilation.

Percussions won't work without nipples.

If his Great Plains Rifle wants to self-identify as a Native American Rifle, who are we to get in the way.

It is 2023 after all.

Just be careful of mutilation.

Percussions won't work without nipples.

So long as it doesn't try to change it's gender. I can't imagine it in pink and having to clean the bore with Bud Light. :D

Thanks! Its a custom gun that I dont know a whole lot about. Its very well made. Has B. Wood on the barrel and MJ Rosetel on the lock. There is a #4 under the barrel too. GR Douglas barrel that really shoots straight. From what I can tell it is a really faitful reproduction of an original plains rifle.
I thought that was a custom, so for me I’d say definitely no for that gun. If it was an old beat up cva hawken id have a different opinion.

I have this really nice plains rifle that was built in the 70s or 80s, it’s a 54 cal… would it be sacrilege to decorate the stock with some tacks?
No, I wouldn’t do it. That looks to be a nice rifle. Tack it and you’ll later come to regret it. So I say, leave it as is and shoot the heck out of it.

a really faithful reproduction of an original plains rifle.
If you can find an original with tacks, and it fits into your persona, I see no reason for not adding tacks. The rifle is nice, but it's not an original, so I don't understand the resistance from folks. I've seen original lever-action rifles retaken from Indians, and they have all sorts of ornamentation. They also have (often) leather-wrapped wrist repairs, butt plates removed to use as hide scrapers, tacks added, and other things. There is historical documentation for tacks, so don't let a bunch of other's opinions bend your opinion.
YMMV.

I don't see the problem so many people appear to have with putting decorative tacks on a ML rifle. If you like them, apply them and if they don't do anything for you, then don't use them. I have attached a couple of photos of tack applications I have used on uzzleloaders I build or remodeled. I personlly like the Native American influence they give the rifles.
IMG-0853 (2).jpg
IMG-2047 (2).JPG

Back