• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

to coat or not to coat...that is the question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickey Brown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've cut out two 8x8 wedge tents and a 9x12 awning from 10 oz canvas painters tarps. Now, I just have to sew them up. Fortunately the GF has a big upholstery sewing machine. My question is whether to coat them or not and what do I use. I would prefer first hand experience information is possible. I plan to set them up this coming weekend and will take photos

Well you should have washed in hot water and machine dried on hot,, the tarps to preshrink the weave.
All BS aside, there really is nothing you can do to painters tarps that miraculously turns them into dependable leak and/or water proof tents.

By the time you spend the money and time trying to salvage/treat painters canvas,, just to get 4 camps out of it before it needs another treatment your already beyond the cost of a marine grade canvas tent.
Sorry, don't mean to burst your bubble,, it's just the plain truth.
you can try the same gazzilion things these folks did;
https://www.google.com/search?q=ca...ng&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&spell=1

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I figured that. I grew up in the era of BLO coated surplus canvas. Once had a new in the package jeep top from a surplus store

We always had good success with treating them with Thompson's Water Seal, but that was for a storage, not a sleeping tent... and it increases flammablility... :shocked2: ..or it did when we did it... formulas change over time...

LD

Brings up an interesting question, the subject of a "Fly" over the tent. I think some of the Civil War wall tents had a fly and it was longer than the tent- creating an awning. I know nothing on this so that's why I am asking. Any idea when a Fly came into use? I am thinking if the tent isn't waterproof, you could just add a fly.

I've seen a lot of period artwork around the AWI and before, with tents, and it appears that an "awning" or "fly" is a very rare thing... I've only ever seen one that appears to be cloth, and two more that appear to be solid using wood or thatch.... out of perhaps thirty or so images.

Many more images are shown with the sides of a walled tent "up" to allow air in, rather than the use of a fly or awning.

They may be a reenactorism...

LD

I know the fly is probably not HC but since I'm a blanket trader it is almost essential to have something over my wares. When I go to an event that is HC/PC I dont' carry it. But at my age and health I need all the shade I can get

Silicone as in for grout should help as it does on nylon.

Why not the quite bigger-in-all-directions fly/awning suspension? Not necessarily period but could be. Looks OK'ish and who's around and cares WHEN IT'S RAINING! Or a billion humid degrees or sunny or... LOL

Back