• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips for carving spirals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got Jim Kibler's carving practice set. It comes with an example and a booklet. It helps to touch a good example. I made copies of Jim's work and transferred it to the stock with carbon paper. After doing several practice carvings I did a couple of stocks.

Draw your pattern on paper until it is right then transfer it to the stock. I am not a great freehand artist. I can use French curves and ellipse templates to get smooth curves. So, I don't try to free hand anything but the rough layout. Also there is a lot of importance to how it is laid out. Pictures as well as carvings tend to follow the rule of thirds. Composition is key to good aesthetics. Drawing scrolls freehand is difficult to do well. Learn how to draw scrolls from the formula. In carving, more is not better. It can look too busy and ends up having poor composition. I'd rather look at less but nicely done than too much and flawed.

Practice is super important. Being able to predict how the grain will react to the blade is very important. Tear outs look bad. This only comes with experience.

I recall a Kibler Utube carving video. Watch it.

Back